Like Nothing's Changed

A/N: I know it's been a LONG time since we've visited this story, but I hope you still enjoy reading it. Keep an eye out for some upcoming work!!!

I was rushing around my apartment, practically tearing my closet apart looking for something to wear tonight. Articles of clothing were cluttering my thoughts. I checked the time, and cursed to myself for only having a half hour before Rick was due to show up at my door.

Why couldn't he have given me just a little bit more on what we were doing tonight? I picked up the phone to ask him what the plan was because I needed to know. But, just as I reached his contact, it rang instead and his name popped up. I answered with just a slight amount of irritation, "Please tell me you're calling with a dress code for tonight," I joked. "Seriously, I have nothing to wear."

"I doubt that," he laughed, "and hello to you too."

I just smiled, taking a breath, "Hey. Can you please help?"

"Nothing too fancy, but it is a nice resturant. Really, though, whatever you're comfortable in."

"What are you wearing?" I sighed.

"A nice pair of pants with a button-up dress shirt. No tie, no jacket. I'll probably roll the sleeves, too."

My long sleeve, burgundy dress flashed across my mind as he spoke. "Surprisingly, that was extremely helpful, thank you," I said as I pulled the dress from my closet.

I walked back over to my mirror and held it up against me, examining the look. "What did you need?" I asked, realizing he called me.

I placed the dress on the foot of my bed and started searching for jewelry. "Ah, yes," he said as I continued to multitask, "Mother is watching Alexis tonight but she got held up at rehearsals and is running late. Would you mind meeting me here so we save a little time?"

"Yeah, of course," I compared two necklaces, finally deciding on the simpler one with a skinny, dropped pendant.

I heard his sigh of relief, "Great, thanks."

I needed to change, but I we were still talking and I didn't want to hang up. Instead, I put him on speaker. "I need to finish getting ready," the volume of my voice rising. "Text me your address?"

"As soon as we hang up," he assured. "See you in a bit."

"See you then," I smiled.

I quickly ended the call and finished changing before rushing to the bathroom to finish my look for the night. I had no time to waste.

...

A half hour later, I stepped up to the door of his loft. I should've been nervous, but I wasn't. Instead, my fingers tingled with excitement and my leg shook in anticipation. I literally saw him four hours ago, how could I be this impatient to see him again? I smoothed the front of my dress, and eagerly knocked on his door.

"Hey," he smiled and swung the door open.

I took in his gray dress pants paired with a fitted navy shirt. I couldn't stop the smile spreading across my face, "Hey yourself."

"Come in," he stepped away from the entry, and then slipped the black jacket off of my shoulders. I took a look around his loft, amazed by it's spacious open floor. This apartment put all others to shame.

He closed the door and turned back to me, "I'm so sorry that our plans got changed and I couldn't...." he trailed off when he saw my disapproving face. I had already told him that it wasn't a big deal and that I didn't mind in the slightest.