First day

Michael's POV

I slowly wake up from the sound of my alarm clock. I can feel it's still early. The woman at the bakery asked me to come early, and though I don't need much time to get ready, I do have to walk.

06:00. I start at 06:30 and its a 5 minute walk. Plenty of time to wake up, have some breakfast and get ready. 

I'm glad I've done groceries yesterday. I have enough food again, and I probably get a job. 

Last night, I've walked through the woods till late, looking for a shed to stay for now. In stead of that, I've found an abandoned house. I had returned to the barn, but this afternoon, I'll move my belongings. Then I won't have to be afraid to be discovered.

After my breakfast I put on clean clothes, get my backpack, and walk outside.

The advantage of an early job is that everyone is still asleep. I walk to to road and wave at the dark, quiet house, just because I'm feeling like it.

Once arrived at the bakery, I see that the woman is already waiting for me

"Did you walk all the way here?" She asks in shock.

"Don't worry, I live nearby." I reassure her.

"We haven't introduced ourselves, I'm Annie Green. My husband Peter and I are the owners of this bakery."

I shake Annie's hand. "Michael Nolan, call me Mike."

I follow Annie into the bakery, where a couple of men are already busy.

Annie points at them one by one. "This is Peter, those the boys over there are Andrew and Oliver. On some days Jack and Julian work here instead. At 7 o'clock two girls, Alice and Linda, will come in as well. They will help you behind the counter."

I greet the men and walk after Annie back into the shop.

"Your main tasks will be keeping the store clean and neat, helping out the costumers, bagging the items and checking out the goods. Why don't you look around to see where you can find everything? Then I'll be back in a moment to show you how the cash register works." Annie walks back into the bakery.

I take a look around me. In the middle of the store are the regular breads, on the right side, where people enter, are the baked goods and the pies. On the left are sandwiches with divers ingredients as toppings to pick from. The display case under the counter is stuffed with diverse goods that are ready to be eaten.

Annie walks back into the store holding something in front of her. "This is your apron, you'll have to wear this every time you work with the goods.

Ï put on my apron and follow her to the counter where she shows me how the register works.

"Is everything clear?" She asks. I nod. "And otherwise you can always ask your colleagues."

Shortly before 7 two girls enter the store. One is short and blonde, the other a bit taller with black curls.

The blonde girl introduces herself first. "I'm Alice."

"Mike." I say. I shake her hand, and turn to the other girl, who introduces herself as Linda.

The girls, who clearly have a lot of experience, start working immediately with organizing the store.

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable.

"You can write today's special on the board outside." Alice suggests. "A sandwich of choice with salad, egg, bacon and union for three dollars."

With a grateful feeling I pick up the crayons and walk outside.

I start writing on the board and look up as the first customers walk inside. i take a look back at the board. I'm glad my handwriting is legible. 

I turn around to walk back inside. A tall, muscular man just walks outside at the same moment. His long red hair is tied up. He looks at me, and for a moment it appears as if his brown eyes light up hot orange. He laughs at my spooked reaction and continues walking to the parking lot.

I can't remember ever meeting him, but he somehow seemed familiar. With a sickish feeling I walk back inside.