Grilled Cheese and Escargot

2 years later

Anna knocked on Elsa's door. "Do you wanna build a snowman? Or ride our bike around the halls? I think some company is overdue, I've started talking to the pictures on the walls. It gets a little lonely, all these empty rooms. Just watching the hours tick by," Elsa could tell she was lying on the floor next to the old grandfather clock. She made clicking noises with her tongue.

She discovered it was easier to ignore Anna than to respond. She was in the middle of a chess game with Jack.

"Okay, your move," he said after capturing one of her rooks.

She studied the board and smiled to herself, then moved. "Check mate!"

He looked at the board in disbelief. "Where? Show me."

She pointed out all the pieces she could kill his king with, no matter where he moved.

"Oh," he looked embarrassed and Elsa pushed his king over.

"It's okay, you'll beat me one of these days."

Jack laughed. "I don't know how you're so good at this game."

"Actually I'm not very good. You just really, really suck. No offense," she smiled and took her cup of tea off her desk and took a sip.

"Whatever, El," he knew she hated it when people called her that.

Elsa was now fourteen and realized how cute Jack is. His blue eyes were perfect, like ice thawing during the summer. She knew there was no way he would fall in love with her though. He was immortal and she was just... Well mortal. She would sometimes stay up late at night and imagine impossible scenarios where they fall in love and rule as king and queen of Arendelle.

She wondered if he ever thought of her like that or if he just thought of her as a friend. Or worse, a little sister. Sometimes she would remember that she was only fourteen and stop imagining those things but most of the time, the scenarios in her head ended up with the sound of wedding bells.

She had drifted off in thought while looking into his eyes.

"You okay?" He smiled and was in the middle of cleaning up the chess board.

She blinked and shook her head. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just lost in thought," she took another drink of tea and set it back down on the desk.

Anna was still making the clicking noises with her tongue. She sighed and glanced at the door. She really missed her sometimes, when she saw little kids playing in the snow in the winter, or playing in the ocean in summer.

"Do you wanna play again?" Jack asked even though he had already cleaned it up.

Elsa shook her head. "I think three games are enough."

He laughed and put the board back on the shelf. She had her gloves off to test and see how well she could control it.

"You did pretty well without your gloves on. Did you have trouble?"

Her mom knocked on the door and she hastily pulled the gloves on.

"I have lunch for you honey," her mom set down grilled cheese and tomato soup.

"Thanks mom," she patted her on the head then left.

Elsa divided the sandwich in two and handed one half to Jack.

"You know," he said thoughtfully. "That you would have really fancy food like escargot and stuff."

She made a face and bit into her sandwich. "Simple taste. Who even likes escargot anyway? I mean it's snails."