The Mansion

Living on the streets was hard for Joshua, being used to the love and tenderness of the quaint orphanage. After months had passed, his ribs began to stick out from under his shirt. His hair was matted and greasy, and his face was covered in grime. Kids began to mock him everytime they passed him. They'd laugh at his clothes, they'd laugh at his hair, they'd laugh at his face. He decided that his looks were the source of their laughter. He one day found a paper lunch bag on the ground, cut holes in it, and wore it on his head. The laughs became less; for they had no idea who it was. 

 One day, Joshua was walking down the sidewalk; lost, cold, hungry. He wiped a tear away from under his mask. Just then, he had heard a loud argument. He turned to the direction the sounds came from, and saw a man in a white lab coat and a dark grey skinned figure in a suit arguing outside of a giant mansion. The man in white stormed away, throwing the coat, goggles, and gloves on the ground. The figure sighed, walking over to the items cast among the lawn. He stopped, staring at Joshua, who stood in front of him. The figure stared at him for a while, seeming as if he was trying to examine him. Joshua looked down, nervously. "Do you like science, boy?" The figure asked, whose voice reminded Joshua of a smoker's raspy voice. Joshua nodded. "Can you invent things?" The figure asked. Joshua nodded again. "Come with me, then." The figure told him, putting his arm around Joshua as they walked into the mansion.