A Gust of Love

"You love me?" Deborah gasped.

"Yes I do."

"You really love me Maddox?" Deborah repeated her question as she dried her tears with the handkerchief which Maddox handed to her.

"Yes," he assured her.

"But Maddox..."

"No Deb. You don't need to say anything. I love you. You don't have to love me back. Because love is no deal. No conditions attached. Love can be one-sided or two-sided, yet it remains love," the sixteen year old guy explained, his voice holding utmost honesty.

"Maddox, listen. I don't want to say this and hurt you but..."

"Deb, I told you, don't stress yourself up," Maddox interrupted. "You know, I have grown up seeing my mother's one-sided love. And I believe that unrequited love is the most sincere form of love. Because you love without being loved back. You love when you have no reasons to. So, you don't need to love me back, Deb."

"Hey Mad Cow! Do you really think you are not going to be loved back?" Deborah snapped but she then blushed as she saw Maddox's eyes widen in surprise.

"What does this mean?" Maddox questioned shyly. "Tell me."

"Why should I say it when you already know what I mean!" Deborah whined.

"You love me too?" the young guy demanded impatiently.

Deborah nodded coyly.

"But why did you say that you don't want to hurt me and all?" Maddox asked as a worried look overwhelmed his face.

"Maddox. You see. You love me and... And I also do. But, but..."

"Oh! I guess I know what you are trying to say," he interrupted. "You are saying that we are still young and all? Right?"

"No! Not this. Maddox, you see. You come from a rich family while I come from a poor one. And..."

"What? What are you talking about? How do you define 'rich'?" Maddox sighed. "And yeah, if you mean I am rich because I stay in that huge concrete box, then, I would prefer to be in your place. Living in a small place you can call 'home'."

"I understand your point of view. But I don't know how your parents will react one day when they get to know about us. Especially your dad."

"You don't need to worry about his opinion. My father does not even know what love means. And yeah, I am not rich. I simply happen to live in my rich stepmom's house. Anyway, forget about all this. So? Any more questions my dear Deb?"

"Yes. Maddox, one last thing."

"Yes. Go on."

"Are you sure you love me?"

"Why do you keep asking this question, Deb?"

"Because, you are so handsome. And I am not as good looking as you. You are white skinned. I am dark skinned," the young brunette sulked.

"Oh God! I can't believe you are saying so. Deb, well, well. Let's put it that way." Maddox went down on one of his knees, tilted his face up to look at Deborah right in her eyes, held her hands and went on,  "My beautiful lady, we do not choose who we fall in love with. And when we love, nothing else matters. How do white and black matter? Even if I was purple and you were blue, I would still love you."

Upon hearing the last words, Deborah burst out laughing as she pulled Maddox up to make him stand again. "Wow! That was so romantic Mr Howard."

"Thank you Lady."

With that began Maddox and Deborah's love story which gave Maddox back some of his lost childhood. The two young lovers were always teasing each other, arguing then patching up. Happiness filled in their days and nights until one day, Maddox decided to share his secret love story with Lydia.