5000 Kilometers Away

The next memory that lingered in Maddox's mind was that of Deborah waving a sheet of paper at him and jumping in excitement as he walked towards her. He ignored why Deborah called him to meet her urgently at the park but the bright smile stuck on his girlfriend's cheerful face was saying it all - it was some good news.

"Maddox! You will not believe your eyes!" Deborah said as she handed the paper to Maddox. "I have been reading it over and over because I also can't believe this is happening! And that too, so soon!"

Maddox's eyes fell on the header. The bold golden letters were already giving the young guy a hint of the glad tidings. His eyes strolled down the letter which was from a famous airline company - the Etihad Airways. Yes, he was right. Deborah had obtained the job that she applied for two months back. She would soon be an airport service agent for the famous aviation company.

The next second, Deborah was enlaced in Maddox's tight hug. "Why would'nt I believe my eyes? I believe in you Deb! I knew you would do it! Congrats my dear. You deserve it!"

"Maddox, I know everyone will say this. That I deserve it. But at least you don't say this!"

"Uh? But why?"

"Because we both know it was you who saw that job advert. It was you who applied for it on my behalf. It was you who wrote all my application letters and it was again you who prepared me for the interview. Oh! Thanks infinitely my love!"

"But it was you who actually performed well for the interview, it was you..."

"Okay, okay. I will take the credit," the excited young girl interrupted. "Maddox are you happy?"

"God! Don't I look happy? I am thrilled! Elated! Overjoyed! And... and... and I don't know any other words to tell you I am really happy!" Maddox knew that despite that he had not yet obtained a job, it was still a first step towards his life goal, that of marrying the girl he loved. Deborah would soon have to move to Abu Dhabi. Nearly 5000 kilometers away from him. But that was the only way they would be able to unite.

It was already eight months post their graduation ceremony. Maddox applied for several jobs - both in his country and abroad. Yet, he had not received any positive response. Not a single one. He was nearly twenty one and still unemployed and he often wondered for how long this might be.

"You are still young my boy. Why do you worry?" Lydia would often coax him. But Maddox knew he had to stand on his feet to be able to build the life of his dreams. While other boys of his age might not even be thinking of serious relationships, Maddox had set his mind on marriage. He knew too much of the uncertainties of life. He knew that life could be snatched away at any moment. He knew it. Because he lived through it. Not once, but twice. He did not want to let his years slip away, he planned to get married as soon as possible. Yet, the only pinch of sadness in his heart was that he knew he would be doing so without Deborah's parents' consent. But he felt he had no other choice. He tried his best to win over Deborah's parents but he pitifully failed until he finally gave up trying. Life was too short to be wasted on hopeless trials, he thought.

The following week, Deborah flew to Abu Dhabi, leaving behind a promise. She promised Maddox to keep in touch and to wait for him to come to Abu Dhabi.

"And what if I don't find a job in Abu Dhabi?" Maddox teased her.

"Maddox! I will wait for you to come, with or without a job!"

"How long will you wait for me my lady?"

"For as long as it takes you to come there."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

And that was yet another broken promise. Another unkept word. Another shattered dream. 5000 kilometers away.