✯nine✯

The last time I was this nervous, the boys and I were performing at the Forum in Los Angeles.

By then I had plenty of experience trapezing across stage with my bass across my knees, singing as well as keeping rhythm with my instrument. I knew how to own the stage, but the idea of the whole thing being recorded for a live album had my heart racing.

That performance had an audience of over seventeen-thousand. The audience in front of me was six.

Cece thought it would be better if she were the one to tweet about me performing at this super indie coffee shop, just so I wouldn't be mobbed.

She urged me to stay away from my own band's music.

So, as I strummed the guitar and sang, I tried to forget where I was.

It was more difficult not singing one of my own songs; I knew them like the back of my hand. But, for once, it was nice not being reminded of my best friends who dropped me so quickly.

Every time I picked up an instrument, I got lost in the rhythm, the notes, the melody. I forgot all of the harsh realities with my eyes closed.

I wanted to forget all of the times I noticeably embarrassed management and even the boys. I was so caught up in the idea of fame, that I couldn't see my original goal. I only saw girls throwing themselves at me and the availability of illegal substances freely.

Just after I let the last string ring out, I remembered where I was and what I was doing.

The number of people in the shop had multiplied notably, and I lost Cece in the crowd of screaming girls. I wanted to call out for her, so she could let me know I was doing something right or even just give me a nod of encouragement but her face seemed to blend with the other hundred. I gave up on meeting her eyes.

"Hey, guys," I said with a smile, a real smile. "My name's Calum Hood and I want to play you another song."