1: Powerless

DISCLAIMER: I love Taylor Momsen, so whatever I portray her as in this story is strictly a fictional representation and does not reflect what I actually think of her. (:

Chapter One

The stuffy silence in the small board room choked me like an iron grip around my throat.  As Eli rustled some papers in front of him, the other three occupants stared at me like I had just landed in that leather seat straight from the moon.  I cleared my throat, and not taking my eyes off of any of them I threw my Doc Marten clad feet straight up unto the table.  The bang caused Eli to jump, and everyone else to blink hard.

Eli coughed three times, then, “I think we’re ready to discuss the terms of Ms. Momsen’s contract.”

Jesus Christ.  The tension could be cut with the flat side of a butter knife.

An older man with a receding hairline leaned forward and clasped his hands and looked up at me. “Ms. Momsen, you were aware of the implications and consequences in refusing to follow your contract, were you not?  Then why do I constantly hear something that gives me heartburn every time I contact Mr. Matheson?” He paused to look at Eli, so I raised my eyes at him to portray mock shock. “Drugs, violence… for God’s sake you passed out on stage!”

“Well, Mr. Whitely-“

“Stop.  No snide comments.  I’m serious.  I have to terminate your contract.”

I rolled my eyes. “You’d rather cut your own dick off.”

The man sighed and closed his eyes. “Ms. Momsen, you must surely be aware a large part of your fan base is under sixteen years old.  This kind of behaviour is definitely not acceptable.  I get a new e-mail from a parent every week!”

Something about him always made my blood boil. “It’s not like I asked for that.  I’m sorry if I just wanted to play some music.  Thirteen-year-old girls have good taste, what can I say.”

“Well, if you want to keep playing your music you’re going to have to clean up.  Big time.  This is the last time I’m meeting with you.  You’re lucky I discussed this with Eli beforehand.  I’m willing to give you a chance.  So, I’m taking away your freedom.  You have the rock star thing going for you, that’s great, that’s cool, I like it.  But I’m choosing the next tour you do, the songs you play there, and what you do.  Your band is being replaced –"

“You can’t do that!  It’s not “The Taylor Momsen Band” it’s “Pretty Reckless” so that means all of us are staying together, we’re a band.  How big is that stick that’s up your ass, anyway?”

He tried to ignore my last comment but his face grew red with anger.  “We’re replacing your band, therefore taking away your negative influence.  I like the sound of all girls… Yes, write that down.  I want a female drummer, bassist, and guitarist.”

“What –“

“That’s enough, Momsen.”  The tone with which he spoke was so strong I didn’t even want to say anything, lest his forehead vain should pop.

He stared daggers at me. “I was going to give you a chance to tour with either Hedley or All Time Low, but a recent turn of events also known as the last few seconds have made me change my mind.”

The three men huddled together and had a small conference.  I strained my ears to hear but years of loud music reverberating through my ears rendered them useless in that situation.

Mr. Whitely turned to me.  “There’s a new British boy band that’s been getting a lot of hype lately.  They’re deciding between a few openers, but I think you’d be perfect.  Play about three songs, get the fans even more hyped to see them.” A triumphant smile was plastered on his face.

I rolled my eyes for what I felt was like the hundredth time that day and whipped my feet back to the ground. “Now I know you’re not being serious.  People are going to buy tickets to see a boy band; my music is not even close to anything they could artificially produce.  Beyond the fact that I’m insulted, that seems like an absolutely ridiculous and unrealistic arrangement.”

“For crying out loud, you’re not all that better!  You’re going to suck it up and play three of your happiest songs every night.  And don’t do MDMA right before either, okay?  I’m going to call their record label in a few minutes and let you know the details afterwards once everything’s been settled.”  He directed the last part at Eli and then he shooed me away from the room.

My band replaced?  No partying?  A British boy band?  If I didn’t know any better, I’d think this was Hell.

                                                                               *****

Please let me know what you think! I like using Taylor as a character so far. (: