EIGHT

(A/N: This chapter is a bit short but I needed some kind of connecting chapter and this is the best I could do)

Davey instantly jerked his arm back and slightly panicked. It was too late to do anything though, so he just awkwardly folded his hands on his lap.

Y/N felt the bed around her and rapidly sat up. She gripped her head and winced like it hurt, but ignored the pain and frantically questioned, "Where are my sisters?"

"They're, uh, they're with Crutchie," he responded gently, unsure whether she was asking him or not. She turned towards the source of his voice and saw his shadowy silhouette. "Davey?" she hoarsely asked.

"Y-yeah, it's me," he said, watching her, filled with concern. "Why are you here? Is everything-" she started coughing. Y/N clutched at her chest, unable to stop. "Please, just try to sleep," he pleaded, carefully helping her to lie back down.

"Wait, Davey," she sat back up and reached under the bed and pulled out his coat. "Your coat." He hesitantly took it and asked, "Are you sure you don't need it?" She carefully laid down and shook her head. "Okay..." he watched her and felt his heart skip a beat. "Try to get lots of rest."

Once he was sure Y/N was fast asleep, Davey backed out of room and walked downstairs. He fetched the happy but tired Les to let him know it was time to leave. The two walked home together, Davey thinking about Y/N the whole time. To say he really liked her is a bit of an understatement. It may seem like a case of infatuation, but somehow in the few weeks he had known her he had managed to fall in love with Y/N.

As he laid in the bed he shared with Les that night, Davey stared at the ceiling. He felt awfully lonely since it didn't seem like Y/N liked him back. He was so focused in this that he didn't notice Les asking him a question. "What?" he asked, hoping for his brother to repeat his question.

"You like Y/N, don't you?" Les said, rolling over to face Davey. Davey felt his face heat up with embarrassment and nervously answered, "Well, of course I do, she's our friend."

"That's not what I mean." Davey just kept silent, not sure how to respond. "I know you do, Davey, I just wanted to see what you'd say. Don't worry, I won't tell."

Davey looked at his little brother, his face hot with embarrassment, but thankful that Les didn't seem like he'd tell.

~~~

Y/N knew she slept for almost 24 hours, because she woke up twice since her encounter with Davey. She woke up once during the middle of the day, the air unusually warm and the room stuffy and humid. After lying in bed for a few uncomfortable minutes, she drifted back to sleep.

Later, she awake in the middle of the night, the moon lighting up the whole room. Her throat was surprisingly not sore, and she didn't feel so dizzy. Y/N carefully stood up, and felt a twinge of relief when she saw Sue and Beth curled up on Crutchie's bed with Crutchie sitting up on the bed, leaning against the wall.

After sleeping for so long, she felt restless. Y/N climbed out of the window onto the fire escape, feeling like exploring. She climbed the stairs up to the roof, basking in the wonderful feeling of fresh air. She made it up to the roof when suddenly she regretted her decision. There was Jack, sitting with some girl with his arm wrapped around her waist and with her resting her head on his shoulders.

Y/N tried climbed back down, but accidentally stomped down on the fire escape, causing a loud noice. Jack immediately sat up and swung his head around. "Who's there?" he called out.

Y/N couldn't decide whether she should climb back down or come clean.

She decided to come clean.

"It's just me. Sorry to bother you," she said. "I'll just head back down." "Ay Y/N, don't worry about. You should come on up."

She hesitated for a moment, then shyly approached the couple. "Y/N, this is my girlfriend Katherine. Katherine, this is Y/N." Y/N shyly smiled and shook Katherine's hand. "It's nice meeting you, Y/N," Katherine said, grinning warmly.

"It's nice to meet you too. I should probably head back to bed, though," Y/N said. She was heading back to the stairs when Jack called out, "Hey Y/N, remember, if you need anything just let me know."

"And if you ever need a girl to talk to, I'm here too," Katherine added. Y/N smiled gratefully at the two, then turned around and climbed back down, through the window, and into bed.