NINE

(A/N: Yikes, this chapter is really long and really rushed, but have fun. I really don't like this chapter for some reason, but I hope it's enough for y'all)

The sun shined slowly crawled into the sky, shining on Y/N's eyes and effectively waking her up. She felt fine, much better than before, and found that she could fall back asleep. She climbed out of bed and quietly made her way down the long hallway of beds and to the entryway of the room, entertained by the golden color the sun castes across the room.

"Good to see ya alive, kid," Jack cheerily said, gently patting her shoulder. She looked up and grinned at him. Y/N hated to admit it, but she had grown quite fond of Jack Kelly and regarded him as an almost big brother.

"Nice to see you too, Jack," she replied, slightly giggling as he started yelling and shaking some of the boys to wake them all up. Within five minutes, they were all running out of the door, going out to their newspapers. Y/N had no idea how all the yelling and stomping had not woken her up before, because it was deafening.

As the boys ran by, some of smiled or winked at her, and she smiled warmly at everybody passing. "Mornin', miss Y/N," Crutchie said, tipping his hat as he hobbled by. "Good morning, Crutchie," she softly replied.

Once all of the newsies were gone, the now empty room was quiet again. Y/N made her way over to her sleeping little sisters, sitting on the bed next to them. She lovingly watched their peaceful, tired faces and how tranquil they looked for in their slumber. She sat there and watched over them until they woke up.

"Morning, you two," she spoke, brushing Sue's messy hair away from her face. She helped them get washed up and dressed, and soon they were all standing, ready for anything. "So, are we all hungry?" she inquired, which was met with eager nods. "C'mon, let's go explore."

So that morning they went out and explore. Y/N bought them a big load of bread, and they went to the park and ate their breakfast. After eating, the trio walked around the area, enjoying the fresh air and freedom.

They also ran into the occasional newsie. At one point, Y/N was walking down the street when suddenly Beth yelled, "Specs!" and the two little girls took off running down the street. Y/N almost had a heart attack, and when she finally caught up she saw her sisters clinging to some boy with glasses. She recognized him as the newsie her sisters were playing with the other night, and gave him an apologetic smile. "They really like you," she told him.

"I guess they do. But it's nice, I'm not used to being liked by girls," he replied, glancing at the little girls before looking back up and extending his hand. "You must be Y/N. I'm Specs."

Y/N shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, Specs. Thank you for being so nice to my sisters." He shook his head and humbly responded, "Aw, it's nothing." "I, out of everybody, know my sisters the best and I know it's not. So thank you. I'll see if I can pry them off of you now."

She did manage to free the poor boy from grip of Beth and Sue, after much negotiating and assuring that they'll seem him again soon.

The three enjoyed wandering around so much that they lost track of time. Soon, the entire city glowed with a fiery orange light, and Y/N knew it was time to return to lodging house. She lead the girls in that direction, but the two tired, grumpy kids passed took up most of her attention. She didn't notice the two shady looking boys following her closely, and was shocked when someone grabbed her arm and pulled her into a narrow alleyway.

She looked up and saw some boy, probably a few years older than her holding Y/N by her arm. Another boy behind him held the very frightened Sue and Beth. "C'mon, hand it over," the boy who held Y/N ordered.