17 Slip

LASERCORN

Followed by her mother, Jillian walked from the back room wearing a dress that resembled Princess Zelda. Her blonde hair was brushed and fixed into two braids and she walked directly toward Wes, "You look gorgeous, princess." I heard him say as he lifted her into the air and spun around.

I looked away, my eyes meeting Eden's for a moment as everyone turned to walk toward the elevator, "What are your plans today?" I asked her hesitantly as she walked toward me, "Is everything alright?"

"Completely normal," she growled with a forced smile, adding quietly as her eyes fell, "Just a bit more vocal."

"Jillian looks adorable in that costume," I told her as I turned to notice Wes watching us with his daughter standing beside him, waiting for Eden near the elevator.

"She really does," Eden finally began to smile as we slowly walked. She slightly paused and turned to look at me as we walked, asking, "Would you mind if we stopped by tonight? As you mentioned earlier, she hasn't really had the chance to meet Tyler." She slightly rolled her eyes, shaking her head as her eyes moved to glare at Wes.   

"I thought there was a reason behind her not knowing him," I watched her closely as she turned away, our bodies slowly inching towards the elevator, "I don't think Wes will approve." I looked up to see him holding the door open as Jillian jumped around the floor.

She lowered her voice, saying, "He doesn't have to."

A smirk pulled at my lips as we quickened our pace. I tucked myself in the corner of the elevator, "Mr. David!" I turned my attention to the dancing child at my feet, "Do you like my dress?" She spun playfully, a bright smile on her face. 

"I love your dress!" I said to her with a smile and she blushed as she continued to dance. I avoided looking in Wes' direction, but could feel his eyes watching me, "Are you ready for VidCon?"

"Yeah!" She exclaimed, adding happily as she clung to Wes' leg, "Daddy said I could choose two toys to buy!"

"Two!" I exclaimed happily and she moved to hang on her mother, "Let's make a deal, okay?" She nodded excitedly and stepped to stand in front of me, "If you have the best day ever and behave for mommy and daddy, then I'll buy you a toy!"

Her jaw dropped and she hugged my legs excitedly, looking up at me with a cheesy grin on her lips. I looked up to see Eden smiling, reaching for Jillian's hand as the elevator doors opened. They walked to the first floor and I followed, but as my foot stepped from the elevator a hand grabbed my shoulder, "What do you think you're doing?" Wes growled through his teeth and I glanced passed him to see Eden pause and glance back.

"Like I told you years ago," I said to him in the same tone as I roughly pulled my arm away, adding, "Im picking up the broken pieces."

He walked away from me and jogged to catch up with Eden and Jillian, but Eden's body language proved that she didn't want him around.  I watched from a few feet behind as she lifted Jillian into her arms. The child called for her daddy, reaching until Eden was forced to pass her into his arms. 

We climbed into separate cars and met at the convention.  Through the crowd of people, I noticed Ian carrying Jillian in his arms. Eden followed quickly behind, her agitated eyes glaring at Wes as he tried to speak. I watched as he paused and I began walking in their direction, "I have to sign us in," I heard Ian call as I approached them.  He passed Jillian to her mother and Eden swayed on her feet.

"Eden, what I am trying to say is that it makes me uncomfortable," Wes said to her in a loud whisper, but she ignored his comment.  His eyes darted up to meet mine for a moment and he stepped back, offering to hold his daughter.

"Actually," Eden called forcefully, her eyes locking on mine as I blended with the group.  She stepped forward, catching my attention before placing Jillian on her feet, saying happily, "You are going to stay with Mr. David for a little bit while daddy and I go on a super secret mission, okay?"

Their daughter nodded excitedly as she took my hand, leaning her head on my legs, "Remember, mommy, don't blow your cover!" She said happily in a loud whisper, adding, "What's the super secret signal in case you get lost?"

Eden slightly laughed, a genuine smile playing on her lips as she let out a loud crow, flapping her arms like an eagle.  She looked up at me with a smile, and she was all I saw, telling me, "That's the signal for if we get lost." A smile played on my lips and I lifted Jillian into my arms.

I watched as Eden's smile faded when she turned to look at Wes.  They walked away. Wes followed close behind her as she moved through the building.  Jillian suggested that we follow them, but I denied her request, bringing her to look at the souvenir booth. As she looked at the trinkets, a group of girls called my name. I turned to see three teenagers wearing SMOSH shirts, their phones gripped tightly in their hands, "Oh my gosh, is that Eden's daughter?" One of them asked excitedly and I gently guided Jillian to step behind me.  She silently hid, her face flushed pink as I agreed to take selfies with the girls. 

The girls had a lot of questions about our unique situation, but I excused myself and walked away with Jillian, asking her which toy she would like when the day was finished. I walked through the busy crowd with her tiny hand held in mine, "You know," I called to her and she looked up at me with big eyes, "I think mommy said that you might meet my son tonight."

"Is he going to get a toy?" She asked in a small voice.

"He will, and you can help me pick it out if you'd like," She smiled brightly, a goofy laugh escaping her lips as I guided her toward the main auditorium.  Smosh Squad was up next for the questionnaire.  We found an empty seat on the back row and she sat in my lap, watching as her aunts and uncles entered the stage.

She cheered loudly, standing in the isle and dancing until the noise died down.  She crawled back into my lap, watching excitedly as her Uncle Ian answered questions. Looking down at my phone, I found a message from Eden asking for our location.  I walked out of the room with Jillian close behind me. Eden was waiting outside of the door, her arms ready to lift Jillian.  She thanked me, asking with soft eyes, "What time should we come over tonight?"

"What time works best for you and Jillian?" I asked her with a slight grin, watching as Wes emerged into the doorway behind her with a look of defeat spread across his features, "I will be picking up Tyler on my way home."

"I'll call you," She told me with a smirk, and I watched over her shoulder as Wes' eyes broke, his broad shoulders dropping as he forced himself to smile in his daughter's direction.