Super-Freaks

Monica leads Lena back into her office. Lena felt hazy but Monica's tight grip on her settled her mind. Monica's lips were still pressed against her neck. She was leading her to the couch. Lena could tell what was on Nova's mind. She wanted to talk. She needed to talk. How did she get up on the balcony? Where has she been? Why didn't she come back sooner?

"Wait." Her voice almost silent.

Monica still firmly leading her to the couch. She let her go. Lena slouched down onto the couch looking up at Nova. Their eyes did not meet. Nova walked over to the water, poured Lena a glass.

Lena noticed the long braid that extended down to her mid back. Her fingers rose to her lips, rubbing over them looking at the length of it. For as long as I'm in love you this braid will grow. She thought back to that promise Monica made to her years ago.

"Do you have anything stronger than water in here?" she asked.

"In the safe."

Nova looked over at the safe. Her eyebrows tensed together. She placed her thumb on the recognition pad. It flashed green disarming the door. She gave Lena a confused look.

She gulped, embarrassed. "I lifted your fingerprint from your coffee mug. You and I are the only one who can open it."

Nova opened the door to find small devices. She pushed it aside, pulled out a half-drunk bottle of Hennessy. Her fingertips grazed against a photo. She placed the Hennessy down to pull out the photo. It was them. She leaned back against the bookcase. The urge to cry comes and goes the more she looks at it. Lena had the brightest smile. She remembered that day they were sitting outside the quad reading two of the same book for literature. Lena doing her best to focus on the words while Monica doing her best to distract her. Eventually, putting the photo back inside of the safe. Nova pulled out a small photo from her jacket. The corners had been worn down. She looked over it once more, placing it alongside the other photo, and closed the door. She poured herself a double shot of Hennessy.

"Never pegged you as the sentimental type." She carried the glasses to the couch, handing Lena the water.

She took a sip placing it on the coffee table. "I.. I couldn't.."

"I couldn't either." Nova rocked the liquid around in the glass, avoiding Lena's glare.

Nova threw back the drink. She softly placed the glass down. A few minutes of silence felt like an eternity.

"I'm not.." Nova let out a heavy sigh. "I didn't mean to just pop into your life. I wanted to say thank you."

Lena didn't want to cut her off. She sat stiffly, fiddling with the hemline of her dress.

"I know it was you that took care of my parents all these years. "

"It's my pleasure. Your parents always treated me like.."

"A daughter-in-law." Completing her sentence, their eyes finally met.

" Completing her sentence, their eyes finally met