A Snowy Engagement

Hannah woke up to something cold and wet falling on her. She put her hand to her face and found it splattered with wet drops. She looked up at the dim and cloudy sky to find snow falling all around her.

Other people were also waking up, and they found the snow as well. It was snowing heavily now and people were beginning to take action.

The men talked and decided to just pick a spot for their civilization and begin work.

They all agreed and got to work. Men started cutting down lumber, and women and children started preparing the ground and making food and caring for some of the ill.

Hannah sat in a big field with Sarah, Cassandra, Mary, Johnny, and Timothy, and other boy their age. She helped them pull up the grass at the root and them pack the dirt to where it would serve as a proper floor.

The sailors helped the men cut lumber.

Hannah pulled up a handful of grass and handed it to Sarah, who tossed it into a pile. They would dry this grass and use it one the roofs. Hannah kept pulling and she began to talk to Sarah and Cassandra. Apparently Cassandra was a year younger than Sarah and they were sisters. Timothy laughed with Johnny and Mary stayed quiet and worked.

After hours of work, an area large enough for a small building laid before them. The ground was packed well, and it was getting dark.

Everyone started returning the there fires, and Hannah walked towards hers. As she walked she saw Mary with her older brother, and she held a small doll with a porcelain face. She recognized the doll to be the same doll that Hannah had kicked. As she walked the rest of the way to her family, someone ran up behind Her.

"You won't believe what happened!" The person cried. Hannah turned to find Alice behind her. She looked confused at Alice's happy face. "I am getting married!" Alice yelled at her. Hannah's eyes grew large.

"That's wonderful!" Hannah said, giving Alice a hug. Hannah looked at Alice, and waited for Alice to tell her who.

"Andrew." She smiled. Hannah smiled too. This was very good. Alice laughed at Hannah as Andrew walked up to them.

"Congratulations Andrew, this is very good news." He beamed back at Hannah and then put his muscular arm protectively around Alice.

After a few moment of congratulating the couple, a question came to Hannah's head, what will they do when the Mayflower goes back to England?

"So what is going to happen now?" Hannah asked. Alice smiled.

"We are going to have a wedding and Andrew is going to stay in America." Alice smiled and hugged Andrew. Hannah smiled. A perfect couple, and no worries. Hannah hugged them both and bid them farewell.

She ate her evening meal and then excused herself. She sat on the side of the hill and waited for Lucas to join her.

He walked up and them sat down next to her, the same as the day before.

"Hello beautiful." He said to her. Hannah blushed.

"Hello handsome." She said back to him. "So have you heard the news?" Hannah asked with her eyebrows raised, mocking a gossip voice.

"Married, Andrew. Before me!" Lucas pretended to pout, but Hannah and him began to laugh.

"I am happy for them, they really suit each other, and Alice deserves someone good." Hannah said to Lucas.

They were quiet for a moment.

"Do you ever think about who your going to marry one day?" Lucas asked Hannah. Hannah considered the question. Then a smile spread across her face.

"I don't think I have to wonder any more." She slipped an arm through Lucas's, and Hannah imagined that if it were light in the sky she would see a blush on Lucas's smiling face.

"What about you?" Hannah asked him. He smiled and looked back at her.

"I couldn't have put it better." He kissed her forehead and then pulled his knees to his chest.

They sat together quietly, and then Hannah thought of something to say.

"So how many children would you want?" She asked.

"10." He said with a smile, and laughed when he saw Hannah's face. "Maybe 3 or 4." He said. Hannah smiled and laughed.

"I think thats more doable." She took his hand in hers and traced the creases. Lucas's face became serious. And he looked out to his beloved ship.

Lucas thought to himself, and then looked back at Hannah's families camp fire, locating her father. He might have to pay a visit to the man soon.