Part V

Jay yawned, waking up. He sleepily turned to Artemis, who was still sleeping. "Artemis, get up," Jay mumbled, his head falling down on Artemis's knee. Grumbling, he raised his head weakly and poked Artemis in the stomach. "Wakey wakey, Arty!"

"Mm, go away," Artemis grunted, pushing his superior away from him.

"Artemis! Wake up!" Jay feebly pushed himself upwards so that after a few silent moments interrupted by groans and moans, Jay managed to sit up in Artemis's lap. "Get up, Artemis!" Jay whined, gently slapping his colleague's face.

"Jayyyy!~" Artemis whimpered, turning his face away, closing his eyes shut tightly.

"Artemis," Jay warned.

"Okay okay okay Jay! I'm up, I'm up!" Artemis got up from his sleeping position on the floor of an abandoned warehouse. When he sat up, the movement caused Jay to shift back a little, who was still on his lap.

Last night, the two angels managed to reach New York. They were delighted to see that the demons were no longer on their tail. So they decided to rest for a hour or two in the dark warehouse but then ended up sleeping half of a day. Artemis had drank a vial of holy water when they were resting and eating dinner and that had healed him partially.

"Artemis, you feel alright?" Jay interrogated in concern.

"I'm fine," Artemis uttered, sitting up even taller, and Jay shifted back even further.

"Still, drink this," Jay handed Artemis another vial of holy water.

"I'm fine Jay!" Artemis protested. "We should use that for something more important."

"You're important," Jay countered, looking into his best friend's eyes. Artemis looked down in shame of what he's going to do.

"Okay," he said quietly.

"Good boy," Jay murmured, running his hand through Artemis's hair after giving him the bottle. Artemis gulped down the contents and then wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"What happens if they-" Artemis started to voice his thoughts but was cut off.

"Shut up, Artemis. Don't think of such a thing," Jay scooted forward, climbing his way up Artemis's legs until he was practically straddling him. "Don't. Say. That. Okay? I don't want to lose you," Jay touched foreheads with him.

"Okay," Artemis spoke the word for the third time before hugging his friend tightly. They shared a moment of quiet, just breathing in each other's scent.

"Come on. Let's go," Jay finally broke the silence and got up off of Artemis.

"Yeah. Let's go back home," Artemis got up afterwards, when Jay moved further away from him. Jay took out his wings and took flight with Artemis trailing behind him.

"Oh no," Jay said with dread, looking at a spot in the distance on the lightening sky.

"What is it?" Artemis moved over a place so that he was flying slightly behind Jay but to the side.

"That," Jay pointed. The black spot in the blue-pink sky was growing bigger by the second and then it split into two larger spots. There was movement on either side of the spots.

"Demons," Artemis finally said, shocked.

"They're still after us?" Jay growled frustratedly. He spun around one hundred eighty degrees and started flying back to the harbor.

"Where are we going?" Artemis asked after he caught up with Jay.

"The Statue of Liberty. We can hide there," Jay responded, his face straight and serious. No longer there was the sleepy and playful expression from a couple of minutes ago.