s e v e n

A couple of days had went by since that night with him. 

I guess you probably could infer that we were caught, and your assumption would be correct. That night, as soon as we were found, he was sent back to his cell on a meditative warning, and a threat was held against him to be transmitted to the state prison, which was unfortunately a couple of hours away from here. And me? I'm officially banned from working in the kitchen, lobby, front desk, basically anywhere besides the lonely room that I've become so fond to, my dad's office. Even though I may be allowed back into the department, as of right now I'm grounded for two weeks. I get to stay home and babysit Dylan, while my mom accompanies my dad to work every single day, and get's the treasured privilege of being able to witness Niall's face and actions as well. 

It doesn't make sense to me. Why are two people, completely and utterly opposite of eachother in everyway shape and form, somehow attracted to eachothers contrasting characteristics. His harsh eyes were seemingly uncompatible with my kind ones. Our attitudes were the only traits that had a relation in some way. We were both rebelious.

The scenario kept replaying in my mind over and over as the lonely night went on in the pits of my dark bedroom. I had been tossing and turning all night at the visuals my brain was using against me of the night that had just happened three nights ago. 

His breathing was heavy against the purple material of my sleeve as we were knelt down beneath the brush of the pine trees that scattered the perimeter of the fence. His hand was wrapped against my wrist, his calloused fingers digging deep into my skin as he whispered, "Don't move."

I nodded and watched my mom helplessly search her surroundings, judisiously tapping her fingers against the cold metal of the fence to make sure it was powered off before entering the court, the dim lighting of the moon the only source of guidence she had. Her footsteps were slow, yet loud as her heels tapped against the solid concrete. I squinted a bit to see her facial expression, and I kind of wish I had left my curiosity to pond about itself; she looked terrified. 

Her body quickly shifted back towards the building. She made her way down the narrow pathway and back around the corner to the enterance of the building. Niall licked his lips and shook his head. 

"I knew I shouldn't have invited you out here."

"You're in custody, why would you think of even doing something as risky as this?" I started, getting agitated more and more as the words kept spilling out of me. "Look what you just got us into. We're screwed."

The lights of the lobby flashed on in the rather large window on the side of the building, catching both of our eyes' attention. It was a sign that my mom had just announced my dissapearance to everyone in the department, not that she knows that he's gone too. To her, and the rest of the people working in the department, he's just another orange uniform. However, when they find out I'm just a participant in this slick game of his, he'll be much more than that. 

"You know, you didn't have to come out here. You don't even know me." He argued back. I rolled my eyes and kept them focused on the window, watching the blurry figures that my slightly impaired vision was holding me back from examining in more detail. Now really wasn't the time to fight, so I wasn't going to keep fueling the disagreement. 

However, he was right; I didn't know him, even though I had a slowly growing want to do so. I wanted to learn everything about him. His background, why he is the way he is. I wanted to learn why he doesn't part his hair, and why he pushes his back instead of to the side. I wanted to know why some of it is blonde, and why some of it is brown. I knew it was because of his growing roots, but I wanted to know why he would dye it blonde. It's stupid, but they're things I've wanted to know since I laid eyes on him in the rearview mirror of the car.