Prologue

The dark gray tom stepped into the starry plains. Reeds brushed his fur and water lapped at his paws. "Did we really have to choose this place, Haywave?" asked the tom. A pale ginger she-cat with a white belly, chest, tail-tip, paws, and muzzle with deep blue eyes stepped into the open. "No StarClan cat ever comes here," responded Haywave. "I chose it because it was so close to the Dark Forest. I had plans like theirs, but dared not proceed to them."

"Raventalon, your rein of power is ending," Haywave continued. "I feel it, I just need an apprentice," Raventalon sighed. "The kit!" Haywave exclaimed. "I see it now, oh no...."

Raventalon lifted a paw from the starry water. "Can we move this on and just tell me?"

"Stars tell Gray the Moon no longer shines. Raven must banish the Moon the Thunder no longer confines. If the Raven declines, he ends all of their lives."

The words echoed through Raventalon. Do I have to kill a kit? he asked himself. The thought made him shudder. Never, not even forced to would I kill anyone! "What does this mean?" he muttered to himself. "Figure it out for yourself," Haywave responded.

"Why?" Raventalon asked.

"It makes you stronger."

Raventalon turned. He saw cats closing in around ThunderClan. Their eyes were filled with fear. ShadowClan surrounded them. "No!" Raventalon screeched, flinging himself at the ShadowClan cats. One by one, he flung each cat around, knocking at least two out from around the small Clan. He hissed, his fur bristling. He felt claws dig into his pelt, flinging around a small black tom-kit with yellow eyes hissed, beating his face with claws. Pain blossomed in his left eye socket as the eye was ripped out and blood gushed from the wound.

Raventalon was flung back, and the kit started to rip fur from almost each and every cat, sparing four who were left shocked and submissive.

The kit grew into and adult and scars down the shoulders of the cat.

The vision swirled into oblivion. "Declines, lives," Haywave mewed.

Another vision sprang up, and Raventalon's eye was back. The kit was more of an apprentice now, and Raventalon sprang at the kit, a brown tom and white tom with gray paws were left shocked as Raven instantly ripped the kit's throat out.

Raventalon saw himself exiled from ThunderClan, and he started to run to ShadowClan's territory for no reason in particular.

The vision faded.

"Banish the kit, kill him, don't let him live," Haywave insisted.

"I really must do this?" Raventalon asked.

"If it saves your Clans, yes."