chapter 9

We were now in two longboats moving up river into a cave. Will, Gibbs, Me and Ragetti in one. Jack, Cotton and Pintel following.

"What is it as has Jack spooked?" Will asked looking at jack in the other boat.
It was only now that I also noticed how on edge he looked.

"Jack has run afoul of none other than Davy Jones himself. Thinks he is only safe on land. If he goes out to open water, he'll be taken." Gibbs replied

"Taken?" Will asked slightly confused

"Aye." Gibbs said

"Taken." I mumbled, hoping that he wasn't talking about what I think he was talking about.

"By Davy Jones?" Will asked

"Well, I'll tell 'ee. If you believe such things, there's a beast does the bidding of Davy Jones. A fearsome creature from the depths, with giant tentacles that'll suction your face clean off, and drag an entire ship down to the crushing darkness. The Kraken. they say the stench of its breath ..."
Gibbs shudders
"Imagine, the last thing you know on God's green earth is the roar of the Kraken and the reeking odour of a thousand rotting corpses. If you believe such things." He finishes

I glance back at Jack

"Never thought Jack the type to be afraid of dying." I said looking back at Gibbs and Will.

"the dying -- it's about the punishment. Think of the worst fate you can conjure for yourself, stretching on forever ... and that's what awaits you in Davy Jones' locker."
Gibbs said

I looked at Will who looked like he was imagining it.

"And the key will spare him that?" Will asked, tell you what he's full of questions the one.
GIBBS
"Now that's the very question Jack wants answered. Bad enough, even, to go visit ...
her." He said at the end with a much darker tone.

"Her." Will repeated

"Aye." Gibbs said nodding his head

"Who even is 'her'" I asked getting slightly annoyed

Gibbs nods knowingly, turns away. Will frowns an shrugs not knowing the answer either.

A firefly dances in the Cypress forest, beneath a Wooden shack in the branches of the tallest tree. At the base of the tree, a rope-and-branch ladder. Jack turns to the others.
We all hop out the boats and Will being the gentleman he is gave me a helping hand, walking towards the hut we stopped as jack turned around.

"No worries, mates. I'll handle this. Tia Dalma and I go way back. Thick as thieves. Nigh inseparable, we were...have been ... before." Jack said slowly letting my reassurance down.

"I'll watch your back." Gibbs says with a nod

"It's me front I'm worried about." Jack says turning around and started to climb the ladder.

"Mind the boat." Gibbs turns to Will

"Mind the boat." Will says to me

"Mind the boat." I say to Pintel

"Mind the boat." Pintel says to Ragetti

"Mind the boat." Ragetti tells Marty

"Mind the boat." Marty tells Cotten and as Cotten turns around seeing there's no one left he pirate mimics the rest telling him to mind the boat and flew away leaving the mute all on his lonesome.

Jack pushes his way inside, followed by Pintel and Ragetti. Pintel carries an object covered by a cloth.

As I follow behind I notice Jars full of weird creatures. Hanging bats, some of them alive. Overhead a large stuffed alligator.
I notice someone sitting in shadows, behind a table. Crab claws are scattered across the table top.