Chapter 6: The Date

Chapter 6

The Date

She stepped towards the door, but her hands paused as she touched the handle. She was going on a pretend date with Aayush, a man she hadn't even talked to till a few hours ago and now she was nervous about it. It was beyond crazy.

She pulled open the door, and there he was smiling down at her. He had taken off his jacket and was carrying it over a shoulder as he leant on the doorjamb. He filled the doorway and she had to admit, he was quite a sight.

"Hi." he said, his smile widening.

"Hi!" she wiggled her fingers in the air, unsure of what to do next.

Aayush chuckled, and leant forward, "You ready?" His voice was a husky whisper.

"Yes." She breathed out, nodding her head.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Here, these are for you."

She frowned in confusion as he held out both hands clasped together, his smile sincere.

"Uh..." she muttered.

He bent a little closer, and whispered with a conspiring wink, "Flowers."

"Oh... Ah, yes, thank you. They are my favorite." She pretended to take the imaginary flowers from him and turned to put them in an imaginary vase.

"Daisies remind me of you, always happy and bright." he said sincerely and she almost dropped the imaginary flowers.

"Daisies really are my favorite." She said in awe.

His cheeks tainted, as he held out his hand for her. "I know. You always buy them for your desk." He gave her a guilty smile and touched an ear with his free hand in apology, "I cheated. Sorry."

Ahilyaa found her steps faltering as he pulled her out. "I didn't know you noticed."

He blinked, and his eyes widened. "Me neither." He said softly, almost to himself.

They walked towards the hall in silence, holding hands, and all eyes turned to them, even the hotel staff. Ahilyaa blushed, but pushed the unease down. She looked up at Aayush and found his eyes set on her. He smiled when their eyes met.

A waiter led them towards a secluded table in the hall, away from their colleagues. Ahilyaa saw Sharad sitting on the far end, a smug smile on his face. She waved.

Aayush turned just as his friend gave them a thumbs up. He couldn't hold back his grin, even if he desperately wanted to. The alcohol humming through his system had taken over his nerves.

He pulled out the chair for her, and as she took her seat whispered into her ear, "By the way, you look gorgeous."

"Oh...tha...thank you." she said in a barely audible voice, fidgeting with the cutlery.

He sat opposite her, smiling wide with a confidence that surprised her again, "Am I making you nervous?"

Her hands paused. "Like I said, you're very arrogant."

Aayush smiled, and leant his elbows on the table as the waiter filled their glasses with water, "Fine... I am an arrogant, boorish, pigheaded monster. Happy now?"

Ahilyaa bit into her cheeks to keep from smiling, "Not at all. I've heard pigs are very smart animals."

Aayush scoffed, "I apologize that I offended the pigs in this entire world."

"The pig spirits will condemn you till eternity." Ahilyaa said giggling.

He raised both hands, and looked up at the ceiling, "Oohh... now I am very scared. Forgive me for my arrogance respected pig spirits. I swear I won't touch bacon for a year."