PART II- Chapter 9: The Meddlers

PART II

Chapter 9

The Meddlers

Aayush looked up from his computer when someone knocked. Kate popped her head in, and smiled, "Hey, Aayush. Busy?"

"A little. Why? What's up?"

She gave him a sheepish smile, and opened the door a little further. "Boss says your phone line is dead or something. He wants to see you right away." Aayush gave her a brief nod, and held up a cable. Kate's eyes widened as she entered the room, with a stupefied grin. "You pulled out the line!"

"Your boss has been harassing me for days. Seriously, the guy is getting on my nerves." Aayush gritted out, rubbing his temples

Kate nodded with an amused glint in her eyes, "He says he really needs your help this time."

Aayush rolled his eyes, "He is a good actor, Kate."

Kate shook her head, "You know, he's just worried about you."

Aayush looked up sharply and his eyes narrowed to slits, "He fed you some bullshit too, didn't he? Fuck! This is getting too far. First, my parents, then, his mom, and now even you." He took in a deep breath and scowled, "Fine. Let's go see him."

Before Kate could react, he stood and started walking out of the room, heading straight ahead towards Sharad's office. She followed closely on tip-toes. He pushed open the door and headed straight for the second one without so much as taking a breath.

Sharad looked up and held up his hand. He was on the phone with someone, "Yes, I'm sure. This will be the perfect arrangement. We'll discuss the details later." He said crisply before ending the call and smiled at his friend.

As soon as the phone was down, Aayush pointed a finger at his face, "Let me clear this once and for all. Stop it. Stop whatever you're trying to do. I'm reaching my limit, Sharad and I'll resign if you don't stop with your nonsense." He turned his eyes to Kate, who took a couple of steps back from him. Aayush took in a few calming breaths, and tried to speak as calmly as he could. "And Kate, I'm fine. Did you really notice any change in me before this idiot brainwashed you?" he ended up saying through gritted teeth.

Kate looked flabbergasted, and stole a quick glance at Sharad who gave her an encouraging nod. Aayush saw the exchange but he held his tongue, his sharp eyes challenging them both to say something. Kate looked back at Aayush and shrugged her shoulders, "Well..." she began, her voice shaking, "... you...uh...you do act bipolar these days."

Aayush couldn't believe what he was hearing. "What?"

"Look, calm down. Just sit down and listen to us for once. I know you for a long time, Aayush and I am worried. I was the one who first talked to Sharad and he shared his worries too. He didn't brainwash me."

Aayush snorted, but sat on the couch, "Stop being so dramatic and say what you want to say. I don't have all day for your intervention"

Kate frowned, and put her hands on her hips, "See? This is what I'm talking about. Granted you were always an asshole, but these days, you don't even think before saying something like that. You seem to hate everything even more. This could be normal for you due to sexual frustration but -" She paused when Aayush's head snapped to meet her eyes, his jaw dropping open. "Wait, before you start yelling, listen to me. What I mean is, while you're becoming more of a beast, on some days, you're also turning into the prince. You act friendly and talk to... people. I mean you, Aayushmaan Singh Rana, talk to people about things. Things that don't matter."