The Reading of the Tale

"Emily!"

I groaned and rolled over, falling back into a snooze.

"Emily!" the voice called again, more persistent this time.

"Get your ass down here, you're going to be late for prison!"

I suddenly sat upright. My parents never talked that way. But I recognized that sarcastic lilt in her voice, and I sprung out of bed. Aunt Marie was here!

I raced down the steps, my feet going in a quick pitter-patter as I shot into the kitchen to greet my aunt. "Marie!" I cried gleefully, embracing her.

She laughed and hugged back, nearly squeezing the daylights out of me. "Hiya, squirt. How has my favorite niece been?"

 I shrugged. "Don't know, haven't met her."

She ruffled my hair, grinning. "You're just a little bundle of sassy, huh?"

"Born and raised," I replied. I was never like this around my parents. But around Marie, I couldn't help it. She just brought the rowdier, more fun side out of me.

Aunt Marie was Dad's sister. She had the same dancing light brown eyes, the ones that seemed pensive and wild. She was never angry or sad, but when she smiled, it was contagious. Dad was a little more reserved, but you could still see the basic sameness, and you couldn't miss that they were brother and sister.

"Well, go up and get ready for school, or I'll raise something else at ya. And hurry, breakfast will be ready in ten minutes, and I don't want it to get cold."

"Okay," I said with a smile. I went upstairs and showered quickly, then got dressed and shoved my school books into my bookbag. The book my father had given me last night laid on the nightstand, and I stared at it for a moment.

Oh well, I thought. I don't have anything else to read at the moment, might as well get this over with. So I tossed it in my bookbag with the rest.

I went back to my mirror to do something with my hair, and sighed. My brown hair was a hopeless case. It hung perfectly straight and limp down just below my shoulderblades. Curling it took too much time and work - plus, it was thick as all get-out, so styling was no easy task anyway. At least in the sunlight, it had a pretty red hue to it.

But that doesn't help me now, I thought, peering out the window at the overcast sky. I decided to just pin part of it back with a red and white polka-dotted bow, and trotted down the stairs, where the smell of waffles and maple syrup greeted me.

"You look nice," Marie commented as she dished me out some food. "I like the shoes."

I smiled and glanced at my feet, as if I had forgotten what I was wearing. I had on a pair of simple black combat boots, along with a pair of plain jeans and a loose red sweater, decorated with a simple black Mickey-Mouse that was ancient. But I liked the sweater, so I wore it.

"Thanks. Now give me my food."

Marie chuckled. "Hold up, I'm applying the syrup!"

"Who 'applies' syrup?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Marie handed me my plate, stabbing a fork into my waffles. "As of now? I do."

I shrugged and sat down on the counter stool. "I'll allow it."

She snorted. "You better, I just made you breakfast. Do you have all your school crap?"

I nodded, swallowing a giant bite of waffle. "Yep. Do you have all your time-killing crap?"

Marie plopped about ten magazines on the counter beside me. "I do indeed. I didn't think to bring any books though. Too bad."

"Well," I said, inhaling the last of my waffle. "That's life for you. Now I gotta scram."