Breaking Off

Greenville, Pennsylvania - March 2, 2014 - 10:00pm - Just to clarify.

"We have to do something with her!"

"No, we can't, Mandi! She's our daughter!"

"Sean, please. I want what's best for her."

Silence.

"Well, so do I. And that's why we won't send her away. Your brother can't take care of her."

"He took care of me, didn't he?"

My father snorted. "Barely. He can't take care of a self-feeding goldfish. You were a fluke."

"Sean!"

"You can't act like it's not true!"

I sighed. This was the third time today that I'd had to listen to this argument. My parents were going on a mission trip to Sudan, and naturally, as always, I wasn't allowed to come.

My parents were hardcore Christians, and missionaries at that. Every Sunday and/or holiday, we were cooped up in a church with about four hundred other people. As you can guess, not fun.

It's not that I was anti-religious. I was raised to believe in God and say my prayers before dinner and bedtime, and I didn't mind that all too much. It just seemed like my parents went overboard with it. But I was a good girl, so I rolled with it. I was obedient, top of my class, and had never been near anything bad, like drugs, cigarettes or alcohol in my life. Except, maybe, for my friends - one of whom was a horrible influence. Other than that, I was a model student and child, and my parents were proud of me.

You'd think that before these mission trips, then, they'd at least find somewhere to put me. But...ah, well, like it or lump it.

"Fine! I don't care! Let her assimilate with the hobos for all the shoots I give!" my mother shouted, and even though I was listening from upstairs in my bedroom, I could practically see her throwing her arms up in exasperation. I sighed again.

"This is your fault!" my father pointed out.

"My fault? Of all the stupid things you could say, that was number one on the list! I found board for her last time! It's your turn!"

"Mandi--!"

I suddenly had an idea. I bounced off my bed quickly and half-stumbled down the stairs after losing my footing on the first step. "Guys! Mom, Dad, wait!"

I swung myself around on the banister, launching into the living room and practically tripping over my parents. "You could just leave me here," I breathed excitedly. "I'm sixteen--"

"Absolutely not!" my parents gasped together.

"Are you out of your mind?" Mum asked in an appalled manner. "I wouldn't leave you here alone if the SWAT team were outside!"

"But Mum..." I began pleadingly.

"For once, she's right," my father said abruptly.

I looked into his tired brown eyes. Suddenly, my father looked old. The lines starting to form on his face, along with the peppered hair, showed his real age. He looked exactly how he was supposed to - like someone who had traveled the world and seen the most gruesome things. My mother didn't look like him. Her eyes were china blue, and contrasted nicely with her chestnut colored hair, but they had a hard, serrated edge to them, like she had seen all the things she hadn't wanted to, and regretted it all - but she kept doing it, because it was the right thing. She felt she had to fulfill and obligation.

"Well..." I said, biting my lip thoughtfully. "Maybe you can just stay home?"

"What?" they said together again.

I fidgeted nervously. "You know...just...stay. Here," I said, spreading my hands to indicate around me.

They looked at me like I was nuts.

"Honey, even if we wanted to, we couldn't cancel now," my father explained, putting a hand on my shoulder. "The flight leaves at eight tomorrow."

"Dad, please. This is so tiring, all the time. It's just go-go-go. And I sit here, waiting for you guys, and all I have to show for my parents is some rock or whatever from another continent. I want the real thing. But when I have it, you guys are fighting - over me. And that's the worst of all. Everyone at school thinks I'm that one awkward girl who tries too hard in her classes. I don't like people. I can barely make friends. Because of you, I'm...I'm an outsider!"

Dad sighed. "I know how you feel. I had to endure it too, you know, but honey--"

"They need us more than you do," Mum finished tersely, looking me in the eye.

We all stiffened, and I heard the breath come out of my lungs quickly. That statement had hit a nerve.

"You don't mean that," I said sharply.

Her eyes didn't change. "Of course I do."

I felt sparks along my fingertips. "Then fine," I spit. "I don't care where you put me, as long as you don't bother coming back for me."

I spun out of the room and raced back up the stairs to my room.

~

Knock knock knock.

"Please, leave."

"Honey, c'mon. It's just me."

"I don't care if it's the pope. That door better stay shut." I never locked my bedroom door. I don't know why. I should have, but I didn't.

My father knew this too, and that's why the knob turned slowly and the door hinges creaked a little as it eased open.

I threw my hand up. "What did I just say?"

He smiled apologetically. "I wanted to talk to you."

"Fine. Talk or go. And hurry. You have to make sure Mom gets her beauty sleep - God knows she needs it."

My father seemed to sink a little. "That's no way to talk about your mother."

I shook my head. "She's putting random, foreign strangers in front of her own daughter. I need you guys, and you're never there."

My father's eyes turned to me, and they looked defeated. "It can't be helped."

"You don't want to help it."

"Emily--"

I put my face back into the pillow. "Just go," my voice said in a muffled tone.

I heard my father hesitate, leaning from one foot to the other. He does that when he's nervous. "Okay. But here," he said, and I heard a sound like a fluttering bird, and then a light weight on my bed. "Read this. Pay attention to it. Maybe you'll learn something. We'll be gone by the time you get up, probably. Your aunt Meredith is going to be here. Don't be too much trouble. Okay?"

I didn't respond.

"Alright," my father sighed, and I felt him kiss the top of my head. "I love you. Good night. And good bye."

As soon as I heard the door click shut, I sat upright, and slowly reached for the book, it's gleaming paperback cover cold against my skin. The title read, The Outsiders. 

I scoffed. So he thought he could win my affections through a book, and a short one at that. I looked at the page count - one fifty-three. Pathetic. I tossed the book onto my night stand and rolled over to go to sleep.

A/N

Okay, hope you liked the first installment of this fanfic! Interesting yet? No? Okay, I'll see if Lauren can whip up something cool for the next chapter. Thanks for reading, please show your support for the next installment by voting, commenting, and fanning!

~Hazel