The Quran on deep seas and Internal Waves

Allah says in Quran:

"Or (the unbelievers' state) is like the darkness in a deep sea. It is covered by waves, above which are waves, above which are clouds. Darkness, one above another. If a man stretches out his hand, he cannot see it...." (Quran 24:40)

This verse mentions the darkness found in deep seas and oceans.
The darkness in deep seas and oceans is found around a depth of 200 meters and below where there is almost no light.
Below a depth of 1000 meters there is no light at all.
Allah mentions another information in the following parts of this verse, 
"...in a deep sea. It is covered by waves, above which are waves, above which are clouds...." 

It is mentioned that the deep waters of seas and oceans are covered by waves, and above these waves are other waves. It is clear that the second set of waves that are mentioned here are surface waves that we can see (because the verse mentions that above the second waves there are clouds).
But this verse also mentions the waves in the deep sea.

Scientists have recently discovered that there are internal waves which cover the deep waters of seas and oceans because the deep waters have a higher density than the waters above them. Just like surface waves, internal waves can also break. But internal waves cannot be seen by the human eye, they can only be detected by studying temperature or salinity changes at a given location.