♛ Return with Elixir

The day after the quintet returned, everything held an odd peacefulness that Lin hadn't felt since the war with Kronos ended. She called it odd because everyone was more alert than usual, and people never stopped talking about the happenings. The peacefulness part came into play when you realized that everyone had become closer, so even if you had never spoken to a person before, you knew they would always have your back.

The day passed by slowly, which made Lin's gratitude levels raise. She had had enough fast-paced days to last her the next few months.

At dinner, Chiron announced everyone could sit where they pleased for the night. Usually demigods had to sit at the table assigned for their cabin, only able to converse with their siblings.

At first, Lin was going to simply stay seated at the Hermes with Romá, and quietly enjoy her meal, but three familiar faces were waving her to their bare table.

"Over here, guys!" Lin grinned at the vibrant sight of Percy, Annabeth, and Grover all waving vigorously. Despite their popularity, they still wanted to hang out with a couple of demigods in the background. Lin grasped Romá's wrist, and dragged her to the Poseidon table.

The inseparable pair sat themselves on either side of their satyr friend, bumping him happily.

"You guys look... not bad," Romá noted, with a wholesome smirk.

"Ambrosia can do you wonders," Annabeth replied. She no longer shook with the thought of Pallas, forgetting him as if he was just another one of the thousands of monsters she had fought. Lin adored her for that. "We still can't thank you guys enough for coming all that way for us," she continued. "Percy's message wasn't exactly supposed to end up in the girl's bathroom, but I'm not complaining now."

"I already told Percy this, but I didn't really think I was up for it," Lin explained. "I've never even been able to win Capture the Flag, so I never really had faith in myself when it came to this."

"Goes to show how some things don't matter," Percy spoke up, before shoving a spoonful of food into his mouth. He winked discreetly at the unclaimed demigod, hinting to their conversation back on the rowboat.

Lin had finally realized just how right the son of Poseidon was. She had gone through the whole ordeal without having the slightest clue of who her parent was. She had performed just as well as Romá did, and even Grover, who didn't even have a god or goddess for a parent. She finally realized she needed no one's approval to do well, she just had to believe in herself.

"Di immortales!" Annabeth suddenly gasped. The dining pavilion had gone silent, the only sound being Percy's fork clattering to his plate. Everyone's eyes were on Lin, or above her, at least.

Lin followed their gazes, looking up to whatever thing had them so mystified. Her reaction was very different from theirs, for she fell off the bench where she sat, and her butt hit the ground. The sudden movement caused the object to quickly fade, but it was still clear in her mind.

The translucent symbol had glowed light green, and held the shape of the common laurel leaf.

Lin had no time to think about it though as she watched everyone swing their legs out from under the tables, and kneel to the ground. Romá threw her teary smile as she hauled Lin up from the ground, before doing the same as the others.

"Hail, Lin Kogane, daughter of the goddess of victory, Nike."

Lin was too stunned to react to Chiron's words. Everyone except her unfroze, going back to whatever they were doing. It was only routine to do that after someone got claimed, after all. But they had done it for her. The girl who never thought she would be claimed.

In fact, Lin had accepted only minutes ago that she would always be in the Hermes cabin, and then her mother had to play her like that.

Mother. It was unusual to think about.

Romá slapped Lin's back hard as she sat back down, and began shoveling food into her face in a dazed state. "Oh gods, not to bring this up right away, but I can't believe your mom is all about winning, and you always lost Capture the Flag against me!"

Lin silently wondered why that was.

Because not all victories are meant to be, a soft voice suddenly sounded off in Lin's head. She didn't have to guess who it was. Her mother was actually speaking to her. Kind of.

Why did you take so long to claim me? Lin immediately fired back.

I believed it was important you realize what is most important in life, and you have. I congratulate you, daughter.

Lin felt the presence leave, and she nearly shouted in delight. She didn't need her mom to tell her how worthy of anything she was, just knowing exactly who her mom is was a bonus.

She would never need anyone to help her feel confidence in herself again. Never again.

"Lin, you still with us?" Grover poked her arm as he spoke the words. Lin looked up at her friends, taking each one's appearance in enduringly.

"Yeah... yeah, I'm here."

"Here to stay?" Romá asked. Lin's face lightened as her four comrades looked to her expectantly. She then nodded to them warmly.

"Always."