chapter 3

Chapter 3

I snapped open my eyes coming back to the present, the class was over and everyone was gathering their stuff to go back to their dorms or respective apartments.

I made my way to my bike quickly and kicked it to start. I rushed out of the parking lot before anyone has even made it out of the building. I made it to a flower stall and bought a red rose and drove to the diner. I parked in front of the diner and walked over to the place where she died I placed my rose on the ground there and as I thought of her a single tear left my eyes and made its way down my cheeks.

I walked back to my bike and waited for others to join me. Everyone else arrived about five minutes later and we all entered the diner. As soon as I walked in molly came over to me and hugged me “happy birthday honey, it’s on the house for you guys today”, she was the owner of the diner and a close friend ever since the accident. She is the only one who knew me coming daily and placing roses on the road.

“Thanks molly, we’ll be in our usual table”. I was thankful that none of my friends acted different to me on my birthday, they knew it was a day that I mourned for my loss. We finished eating and was out talking to each other

A girl parked across the road and got out of a red B.M.W convertible, she got out of the car speaking on her phone and she absentmindedly started to cross the road without looking for traffic.

A truck was heading towards her at high speed and I knew that the driver won’t be able to brake in time, and the girl had no idea that death was fast approaching towards her.

The accident that took Kayla’s life away from her and me flashed through my mind and sprinted towards her as fast as I could. I managed to catch her in time and push her out of harm’s way but there was not enough time to evade the truck myself.

The truck hit me hard on my right side and I was sent flying towards the side of the road. Pain erupted all over my body and I just wanted to let go, the darkness started to creep in and I was slowly starting to lose consciousness, but before the darkness engulfed everything I felt a heat radiating from my hand, the heat started to spread all over my body soothing away the pain and soon there was nothing but darkness.