Chapter 11: Piano Lessons

Charles Flynn arrives at his school ground along with a few students who has summer lesson on campus. He sits in his designated room to wait for his substitute teacher since he got a call from his teacher, Mr. Robert, who caught a flu last night.

"You must be Charles Flynn", he turns to see none other than his father, Carter Baizen at the doorway.

"If there is no class, then I wanna go home", says Charles Flynn as he begins to collect his stuff.

"I'm the substitute teacher", says Carter, approaching his son.

"Did you bribe Mr. Robert to take a day off? If so, I want to go home", Charles Flynn didn't want to stay there at all.

"I know what I said to your mum, but I'm here now and I want to make it up to you, but you have to let me in", says Carter, silently begging for his son to stay.

"You had 10 years before. Why won't you take the chance 10 years ago?", asks Charles Flynn, causing Carter to sigh. "Look, I get if you don't ever want me. I don't care. I have Uncle Chuck", says Charles Flynn, "But if your intention is pure and not to break my mother's heart one more time, I'll be sure you will never see the daylight ever again".

"When your mother threatens me, she looks cute", says Carter as he chuckles, but Charles Flynn gives him an unamused and straight face.

"Now, excuse me", says Charles Flynn as he walks outside, but Carter stops him.

"At least play me a song", Carter requests. Charles Flynn sighs and looks at his father with disdain.

"One song, then I'm going home", says Charles Flynn. So he sits back and plays him Aria by Bach.

"I played that once for your mother", says Carter, but Charles Flynn immediately collects his stuff and leaves. Carter sighs and follows him out to see him walking home. "I'll send you home", says Carter, catching up with his son.

"I've been fine walking back home, plus I can catch a bus if I want to", says Charles Flynn.

"Please, Charles, let me just send you home", says Carter. Charles Flynn sighs.

"Just this time", he says as he reluctantly follows him to his limo. The ride back home is quiet and Charles Flynn refuses to make eye contact with Carter. Once arrive, Charles Flynn steps out without saying goodbye and slams the door.

His heart pounds in his chest. Did he just ride back home with a complete stranger? Carter may be his father, but he was a total stranger to Charles Flynn. He peeks out to see the limo driving away. Once it is out of sight, he grabs his bike and cycles his way to the precinct.

Charlie is surprised to see her son, out of breath as if he was chasing bad guys. Her father, Charles beckons her to his office, where Charles Flynn is taking a breather.

"What happened?", she asks.

"Please don't be mad at me", says Charles Flynn before he proceeds to tell what just happened.

"I'm going to murder him now", Charlie states.

"Honey, let's sit down and process this", says Charles.

"I told him to stay away and yet, he has the gut to bribe a school teacher so he can be near my son! I will kill him", says Charlie.

Charles sighs and rubs his temple. "Look, he didn't do anything yet. Think rational and don't go around stabbing people", he says.

"He stabbed me at the back, dad. So, it's even if I stab him at the front", says Charlie.

"Charlie, until proven guilty, you don't do anything. As a father and as the captain of this precinct, that's an order", says Charles, sternly.

"Yes, sir", Charlie mumbles.

"Guys, seriously, I'm fine. If I see him, I'll turn the other way round", says Charles Flynn.

"I'm just glad you're fine", says Charlie, hugging her son.

"If he does harm you, we all will go and hunt him", says Charles.