Chapter 2

Real world

Real world

~Wendy~

The school bell rings through my ears. The once silent classroom erupts with voices and chairs scraping against the floor. I gather my books and shove them into my book bag as I stand up from my desk.

I scurry out of the door giving a simple nod to Miss Lou. She is a sweet little teacher. She is young and speaks three languages other than English. French, Italian and Spanish.

Outside the classroom is many students rushing around and out of exits. Chattering. Loud laughing. And lockers slamming. All the pleasant sounds of school ending.

For the day at least.

I look down the hall and spot Lily, my best friend. She realises me and runs up to me with a welcoming smile.

"Hey!" She says as we both turn around and walk out of the schools large bully doors. Down the cement steps and onto the pavement. Students mill around the school as we quickly run across the busy street to the small coffee shop.

"Gosh I hate maths." Lily sighs as we walk through the shops doors and we find a small table and sit opposite each other.

"You know it's not all that bad." I say.

"I don't know how you do it Wendy." She says as she glances around the empty cafe.

"What do you mean?" I ask as I realise a waiter is walking over too us.

We take out orders, me always a hot chocolate with extra marshmallows. "I mean you come back from the hospital, a strange boy now lives with you and you still manage to get straight A's." I almost chuckle strange boy, that's funny.

"You mean Peter. And he's only staying with us until he's stable." I say with a smile.

"I know I know, it's just so weird how you too act like you know each other well." Well some people keep secrets.

"I guess we clicked." I say briefly and then thank the waiter for our drinks and take a sip. "God its cold." I say changing the subject.

"Well it's what you get when winter rolls around." She answers unimpressed.

After our small drink break we head outside and back in the streets of London on our way home. "I almost forgot I am not going to be here for two weeks starting from tomorrow." Lily says casually as we walk on the pavement.

"Two weeks?! That's an awfully long time to be away, I mean school only started seven weeks ago, and that's the time where all the testing begins. Why?" She cannot miss all of that schooling especially because this is a very important year school wise. Where on earth with she be? And she's leaving me!