Fighting Contest To Find A Suitor Part 3

"What are you laughing at?" the fat one shouted to the crowd. "Isn't this a contest to find a spouse! I am not married, why can't I try my luck?"

"Venerable ancestor," said the monk while giggling, "even if you win, you wouldn't want this girl, as beautiful as a flower, to become a widow right away!"

"And you," said the fat one angrily, "What are you here for?"

"If I can have such a pretty girl," replied the monk, "I'll return to the secular world!"

The crowd was roaring again.

The girl frowned her eyebrows, apparently annoyed. She removed the cape which she used to cover herself and wanted to continue the fight. Mu Yi held her arm, saying not to be irritated, and replanted the banner in the ground. The monk and the obese person continued their bickering, each wanted to fight the girl first.

"Why don't you start fighting against each other first?" the hilarious spectators suggested. "The winner will have the honor to fight the girl!"

"Allright," the monk said. "Old chap, let's have a little fun! He threw a blow with his fist, the obese one avoided it by lowering his head, before returning the blow."

Guo Jing recognized the style of the monk, the Arhat style from the ShaoLinTemple. The obese one practised the style of the Five Movements. Both were thus practitioners of external gongfu. The monk showed himself of great agility, whereas the obese one, in spite of his age, privileged heaviness and power. Suddenly, the monk stealthily struck three blows at the stomach of his adversary, who fought stoically, in order to be able to batter down his right fist on the head of the monk. Who fell to the ground, dazzled, then found his spirits again, took a knife out of his robe and run to attack. The crowd shed a cry of surprise. The obese one leapt back before wielding an iron whip which was rolled up around his waist: thus, both had become armed! The fight began again, still desperate, but more dangerous. The spectators applauded while moving back, fearing to be injured by straying blows.

Mu Yi approached the two men and said with a loud voice, "Stop! We are here in the imperial capital, it is forbidden to exhibit weapons!" The two adversaries, carried away by their fight did not give any attention to him. Mu Yi leapt suddenly, jumping he kicked the knife of the monk while seizing the end of the whip. He drew with force, the obese one could not resist and released the whip. Mu Yi threw the whip onto the ground. The two adversaries, not daring to fight anymore, collected their weapons shamefully and disappeared under the gibes from the crowd.

Then tinkling of small bells which were attached to the harnesses of horses was heard and one saw a flamboyant company appearing: several tens of vigorous servants accompanying a young nobleman. He looked at the brocade banner and examined the girl from head to toes. Then he smiled, got down from his horse and came forward.

"Is this the girl who seeks a husband through a contest?" he asked. The girl blushed and turned her head without answering. Mu Yi advanced, joining his fists and greeted, "My name is Mu. What does the young Lord wish?"

"What are the rules of this contest?"

Mu Yi explained it to him.

"Then I want to try my chance as well..." He was a young and handsome nobleman about eighteen or nineteen years old, dressed in a lavish brocade coat.

"At last a boy," thought Guo Jing, "who would make a beautiful couple with this girl! Unfortunately the monk and the old obese one a while ago were not up to par, if not... if not..."

"Your Lordship is joking," said Mu Yi mortified.

"What do you mean?"

"We are only wanderers without abode, how would we dare to measure ourselves against you? And it is not an ordinary contest, it decides the marriage of my daughter ... Please forgive us."