Chapter 5: The Verdant Battle

Twenty students of Beacon Academy made their way to the ruins of an abandoned temple and took cover behind it. Gray pillars lined the area leading to a cliff where a couple of bridges connected to a tower in the middle of the pit, leading to the mountain on the other side. The Nevermore flapped its wings and landed on the tower, letting out an ear piercing screech.

"Well, that's great!" Yang sarcastically remarked behind one of the covers, readying herself and her weapon, Ember Celica.

Suddenly, the Deathstalker from before burst out of the trees.

"That's even better!" Jaune cried out.

Behind the Deathstalker rushed in dozens of Ursas and Beowolves, as well as a two headed King Taijitu.

"Let's go!" Ruby began making a run for the bridge. The others followed suit.

The Nevermore flew up from where it was perched and began firing feathers at the area. Each one of the students dodged the projectiles. Nora retaliated back with her grenade launcher, pelting the bird with explosions.

Ruben shifted Sanguis Spike into its sniper form and began shooting the area around its face.

The Grimm recoiled in pain and took to the skies, circling the area as it eyed its prey.

"We can't fight them all at once!" Avery yelled. She looked back at the mob of Grimm stampeding their way towards them.

Grei examined the surroundings.

"The tower!" he pointed towards the structure at the center of the pit. "We can try to get on top of it and use it to land hits on the Nevermore!"

The Deathstalker had managed to close in and snap its pincers at Mond and Ace. Ace drew her Krov into swords and parried the scorpion Grimm's assault, while Mond had flipped onto its back and began clawing at it. The pair immediately backed off from the dazed Grimm.

Brand looked at the countless monsters that were on their way. "Some of us need to keep those Grimm from getting near the others while they attack the Nevermore!"

"Consider it done!" Ruben ran towards the Grimm. "Aves, let's go!"

"We'll help!" Harmon and Malko followed their trail.

"To battle then," Aurum said as he, Grei, Meroch and Ace stood beside the others with their weapons drawn.

The Deathstalker had managed to push the rest of them onto the thin bridge over the deep pit. However, it could only cry at them in frustration as its body structure was too large for it to cross the already weathered stone bridge.

"Incoming!" Melo shouted as another Grimm rammed itself into the bridge. The center gave way, crumbling and falling into the pit.

The new Grimm sported a long serpentine body and multiple bony legs that jutted from its sides. It also bore sharp pincers on its mouth, much like that of a centipede. It crawled along the walls of the chasm as dirt crumbled down.

"Oh no." Mond gulped as he looked on at the serpentine Grimm. "Something's down there!"

Brand examined the Grimm. "Looks like a Ground Dweller!"

The situation wasn't good. Ground Dwellers were known for having an extremely thick bone exoskeleton. Of course, since most of the bone was focused on its hide, the underbelly was its weak point. Unfortunately, it had its belly facing the walls of the chasm as it continued scurrying across.

Brand noticed that he, Ruby, Weiss, Nora, Jaune, Sable and Melo managed to reach the middle tower but Pyrrha, Ren, Blake, and Mond remained on the other side to fight the Deathstalker.