Chapter 11: A Strange Encounter

A single spark came from the impact of a hammer and the blade of an ax. Brand checked to see if the edges were sharp enough. Night had already fallen over Vale.

"The key to a sharp blade isn't within the material but the way it's crafted." Pax said.

"Is that why we use scraps?" Brand joked. "So I've told you all about me, why haven't you told me anything about you?"

The blacksmith raised his head as he was brushing a blade. "What's there to know? I'm just another student like you who came here to be a huntsman."

"I don't know." Blue put the hot ax into the bucket of water. "Anything personal, maybe? Like your actual name?"

Pax chuckled. "My real name's William Icerya. I'm from team WLKR. How's that?"

"Why the name Pax?"

"It's a nickname from my parents. I never knew why though."

Brand and Pax laughed as they continued their work.

"Hey, guys!" Ruby walked up to them wearing her tank top and rose patterned pants as well as her Beowolf sleeping mask on her forehead. "Working late?"

"Got two orders left." Pax grinned.

"Can I help?" The scythe wielder smiled innocently.

"Not in that you're not, Little Red." The blacksmith pointed at her attire.

"You taking a walk or something, Ruby?" Brand asked.

"Yeah. Just needed to clear my head." Ruby had her hands behind her back.

"You should really get some rest. We have a field trip tomorrow, after all." Brand said.

"Done!" Pax placed the scimitar onto the finished orders table. "Clean up, head out! Let's go, Blue!"

"Yeah!" Brand placed the ax on the table as well. "Stay right there, Ruby. I'll walk you back to the dorms."

"Sure..." Ruby smiled.

Meanwhile, in team JNPR's room, Pyrrha, Ren, and Nora were having a conversation with Avery, Ruben, and Grei.

"How come Jaune gets home so late?" Nora asked as she jumped up and down on her bed.

"He's become rather scarce ever since he's been fraternizing with Cardin." Ren explained before checking his weapons.

"That's unusual." Grei commented as he leaned against the wall.

"I thought they were arch enemies!" Avery said with an ominous tone, sitting beside Nora.

"Still, who would want to hang out with that creep?" Ruben added.

"That's weird. Doesn't he know we have a field trip tomorrow? We need our rest!" The hyperactive Valkyrie sprung into the air before landing on Avery.

"Ow!" The fire bender shouted as she sprawled out on the bed with Nora on top of her.

"Sorry!"

"Well, thanks for inviting me over. Goodnight, guys!" Grei said as he went for the door.

"Goodnight, Gray!" Nora said.

"Likewise." Ren nodded.

"I guess we'll get some rest as well." Ruben tapped his partner on the shoulder.

"Bye guys!" Avery waved.

"Do you think Jaune knows what a trouble maker Cardin is?" Nora asked.