Chapter 13: What We Refuse To Believe

"Hey, wake up."

Sable shifted his head. His vision was blurry but he could see someone in front of him.

"L-lance?" The archer asked.

"C'mon, it's almost time for lunch. You love Ms. Dunehall's cooking."

Sable blinked and found himself back in their room at the orphanage. Lance made his way out the door before turning around.

"I'll go ahead then." The sounds of gunfire and screaming came from outside. The voices screeched throughout Sable's eardrums. Echoing again and again without stopping.

"Lance, wait!" The Archer immediately stood up and rushed at his brother only to be knocked to the ground. He gazed upon his brother's bloody fist which he held proudly.

"You're still weak. Why did I have to rely on you to save me..."

"No! I-" Sable felt a kick hit his face as he faded into darkness.

"Damn it!" Roman pushed the soldier off of the boy. Sable, himself, was bound by the wrists and ankles. "Don't be too harsh on his face!"

"He ain't even answering our questions, just mumbling nonsense. I say we kill him," the thug raised his rifle.

"What if Ozpin and the rest of Beacon come raining down on us? I don't need that kind of heat before the preparations are done."

"What if he wakes up and starts trying to kill us again?"

"Well, keep him tied then!" Roman flipped his cane and proceeded outside. "Stupid brutes..."

The group had found refuge under a tall tree after the brown archer had attacked them. It seemed like he had a screw loose in his head. Pulling out a cigar and a lighter, the crime boss started smoking. He scanned the forest before hearing a loud explosion. As the fire died down, three figures were seen in the distance, Grimm surrounding them from all sides.

"Great!" He quickly turned around. "Grab our little bowman and let's move. His friends are getting closer."

The rest of the mercenaries nodded as one of them put Sable on his shoulder. Roman then pulled out his scroll and dialled a number.

"Pyonn, there's people in the forest. I thought you said this would be a smooth exchange."

"Relax, Torchwick. Use your scroll to scan your surroundings."

Roman clicked his tongue and raised the camera towards the fight.

"Scanners indicate three humanoid signatures only."

"Professors then? Huntsmen? Huntresses?"

"Hard to tell. For now, focus on getting to that cave." Pyonn shut off his screen immediately.

"What bu-" Roman stomped his foot down. "I just had to spend my money on these fools!"

He looked back at the figures. They weren't far off but at least the Grimm served as good distractions.

A few minutes earlier

Melo felt his eyes get heavy as he leaned against a branch. He was too tired to check the time but he knew it was really late. In the corner of his eye, Brand was still staring at the trap intently. He didn't know how his leader stayed awake with the cool breeze blowing through Forever Fall. Frankly, Melo didn't want to care. For now he just wanted to-