Chapter 11

Lebanon, Kansas, Present Day

Five groups made their way through the facility in a matter of minutes, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. As planned, they met in the central area of the building. The last few guards were taken out easily.

It wasn't without casualties on their side; they had started as 18, now by Sam's count they were down to 14. He glanced over the group quickly and made sure that Eileen and Jody were still there, as were Donna, Tamara, Dudley, and all of the Brits. He didn't have time, or energy, to figure out who else might be missing.

All of the Americans stood, unsure what to do next. A guard at each end of the group stood tense and ready for any stragglers that might show up now.

The door to the central office slid open, and a young researcher stood there, shaking like a leaf. His face was pale, and glistened with sweat. He looked as though he wanted to beg for his life, but couldn't get the words out. "C-come in," he finally managed. "She's w-waiting for you..."

Ketch stepped forward, and the young man took a step backwards, his eyes wide. Tamara stepped up and held her gun on him, motioning him back into the room behind him. Gliding around the doorway, gun at the ready, Ketch stared at Dr. Hess, who had clearly been waiting for them.

"Really Arthur," she said, sounding disgusted, "this is rather melodramatic, don't you think? I always knew you were a bored sociopathic schoolboy who never really grew up, but this is quite unnecessary."

Mick stepped into the room and her eyes widened momentarily, but she quickly regained her composure. "Michael, you're looking well for a dead man," she said dryly. "Any other surprise visitors joining us?"

Durbin stepped into the room, and this time she was unable to hide her shock. "Hello Eugenie," he said. "Have you missed me?"

* * *

Galway, Ireland, 1941

The room was silent - blissfully silent. After having fought for nearly three days straight against one of the most powerful demons any of them had ever seen, they had finally managed to complete the exorcism ritual - a ritual that had been nearly impossible to find, and was far more complex than any of them had ever attempted.

Edward was exhausted, but exultant. The eight year old girl the demon had possessed was the daughter of a powerful political figure, and none of them had wanted to be faced with the prospect of killing an innocent child if they weren't successful.

The girl had been possessed for nearly three months. The British chapter of the Men of Letters had attempted an exorcism on her when it had first happened, but without success. They had finally managed to contain the demon in a heavily warded bunker, but the girl was still trapped along with it. At that point, a call went out for help worldwide, and a group from the American chapter was sent, including Edward.

The girl was asleep now after being administered a powerful sedative: she had been hysterical when the demon first left, and understandably so. She had been trapped inside of her own body, watching her own hands do horrific things that made Edward's stomach turn. He was thankful that the girl had survived, but still wondered what the rest of her life would be like. How would she ever get past that kind of trauma?

Blood and various other bodily fluids splattered the walls and made the floor slick beneath their feet. Augustus Sands, another of the American group, carefully picked up the girl from the table where she was lying. "I'll take her upstairs to a bed for now," he said. "Beatrice is there, and she can keep an eye on her."

Edward nodded. The girl's beautiful golden curls were matted and greasy, and her dress so covered in stains the fabric pattern beneath was barely recognizable. He didn't know very much about children, and he was glad that Augustus and Beatrice were there. At least they were parents. Or they would be, soon. Beatrice, despite expecting her first child very soon, has insisted on coming along on the mission with her husband. They had barred her from participating in the actual exorcism, but she had been invaluable when it came to research and communications.