One

Yasmin S.

"And welcome to Clark Atlanta University!" The provost of the university concluded his statement

"And welcome to Clark Atlanta University!" The provost of the university concluded his statement. Yasmin Sopio yawned strongly, anxious to get back to her dorm room.

It was her second day on Clark Atlanta University's campus as an official student. The previous day, her parents and older brother helped her set her dorm room up in Annie Merner Hall, one of the freshmen dorms for women. Since she was from a suburb of Atlanta, her family was back at home and she was alone on campus.

"I like your skirt, girl," a young woman said to Yasmin. Yasmin smiled at her and thanked her. Yasmin had an eye for fashion. She loved fashion so much that she actually doubled majored as a fashion design major and a mass media arts major since she loved journalism as well. She aspired to incorporate both of her majors into one profession, a fashion journalist.

Yasmin walked from the student center back to her room through the promenade that covered Clark Atlanta's entire campus. On her way back, she spotted various freshmen from Morehouse sit on Clark Atlanta's campus and talk to other students.

She was walking and minding her business when a young man stopped her.

"Hello, beautiful," he greeted politely.

Yasmin smiled at his manners. "Hello." She decided to take a seat beside him.

"My name is Jarad. Yours?"

"Yasmin."

"Nice name. Where're you from, Yasmin?"

"Atlanta," she smiled.

"I guess you ain't want to go so far."

Yasmin chuckled. "You're right. How about you?"

"Miami."

Yasmin's eyebrows rose. "Spring Break at your crib?"

Jarad laughed at Yasmin's joke. "I don't know about all that. I'll try to whip something up."

Yasmin nodded, pleased with the answer. "Well, I was about to go to my room to catch a nap. I just got out of a presentation and it was hella boring," she told him as she got up from her seat on the promenade. She was tired and her feet were starting to hurt a bit from wearing a pair of heels all day.

"I feel you. It was nice meeting you."

"Nice meeting you too!"

Yasmin continued to walk to her room when she noticed that she did not give or receive a phone number. She mentally slapped herself because the boy was cute.

"Maybe next time," she mumbled to herself.

She used the school ID she received earlier in the day to swipe into her residence hall.

"Hey! We're having a chit chat later on in the lobby if you're interested," an RA told her. Yasmin quickly thought it over. She did not know anybody who lived in Merner with her.