Chapter 33

By the time he was still recovering from his blow, she quickly followed steps of filling insulin in the syringe. Before she could check for air bubble in it, he banged her head on the table. She screamed in pain.

"What are doing? Who are you?"

With the corner of her eye she pressed the piston to see insulin flowing properly. The pressure on her head was unbearable.

He demanded, "Are yourself Fatima? Have you come to kill myself?"

Remembering the injustice her Aapa had to face, she managed to push him and pierced the syringe into his arm. He cried in pain and removed the syringe.

She was gasping for breath when he pushed her to the wall; her head banged against the wall. Strangling her neck, he started applying more force. When she had lost all her hopes, he started sweating profusely. She kicked him on his abdomen and rushed to open the door.

Shahid, who was waiting outside, ran in. The rapist felt everything whole world blacking out. Collapsing on the floor, his body started trembling. Maya closed her eyes but the mastermind stood there savoring the sight of Aashish in fits.

"I am sure you remember Fatima. I am her husband. I never wanted to kill anyone but you are her rapist. I cannot trust this system for it helped you to flee from this country. Though she has promised me not to think about her past, she still cries," screamed Shahid.

Soon he stopped trembling. Maya, who had opened her eyes, bent down to check his breathing. "Bhaiyya, he has died."

"Who knew that this idiot can be killed with insulin overdose? Anyways, come Regi, we have to leave this place quickly."

***

Having smoothly escaped from the hotel, Maya drove the car. Maya aka Regina was Shahid's rakhi sister. They used to live in same society in Mumbai. Few years ago, Regina left for Mangalore to pursue her further studies. She was a part time model too.

"I am sorry Regi," he apologized.

"Bhaiyya, his English was very funny."

"Did he hurt you? Why was he screaming?"

"He thought I am Fatima Aapa. That's so funny."

He screamed on top of his voice, "Stop the car."

Luckily, they were driving towards left of the road. Regina stopped the car. She turned towards Shahid. He said, "Look I am sorry, Regina, you had to do this. Tell me quickly what all happened."

She quickly narrated the whole incident. He took a deep breath. "You're more stronger than I had assumed. I am sure the news would have reached the media. Promise me, you won't tell this to anyone."

"I promise bhaiyya. Can I remove this mask?"

"Of course you can."

She slowly peeled her face mask. "Whose face is this?"

He sighed. "One of those unfortunate souls who was with your Aapa in that so called hostel. She committed suicide by drinking rat poison. Hope her soul rests in peace today."

***
Reference:

Insulin is the hormone secreted from our pancreas whenever we consume sugary or starchy foods. It transports blood glucose into our cells so that it can be used as fuel. Too much insulin causes low blood sugar and this leads to a variety of symptoms before death.

***

This murder of Aashish was not in the original plot of story. There's a guy in our class called Aashish. His job is to stare at girls. His stare is so piercing that many of us are forced to wear dupattas or stoles in hot summers. This really irritated me. So I killed him in my book. That's only liberty I have.