16. Midnight 💋

Lucas' POV

I pull open the door, a grin wide on my face when I take in the sight of the boy who admittedly has gone from noticeably excited to confused in mere seconds. "Do I have the wrong apartment?" He asks, stepping back to look at the number on the door.

"You're looking for Riley, yea?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. I don't pride myself on being that guy that challenges other guys to a chest match but my biceps are well...existing while he looks like he'd struggle with a bag of potatoes.

"Perhaps" he replies, challengingly crossing his arms across his chest. I stifle a laugh. "And who are you?"

"This is Huckleberry" Maya announces, appearing at my side. She ushers Charlie further inside and shuts the door. "He's Riley's-."

"Maya" Riley hisses, stepping towards us. "He doesn't care." I don't know what Riley is more terrified of, him finding out we're rooming together in the fall or our obvious flirtation.

"No. No. I certainly do care about whoever you are to my Riley."

My blood boils. His Riley? Was she an object? A prize to be won? She was a person. "I'm her roommate. At NYU" I clarify, dropping my arms and stuffing my hands in my pockets instead.

"Her-? How is that possible?"

The entire room has gone silent at this point apart from the loud popcorn munching; we've captured the group's attention.

"It was a housing mix-up" Riley explains, stepping closer to me. I'd reach out for her if he weren't standing here.

"Oh" Charlie laughs softly. "A mix-up." He slaps his knee. "I can get that fixed for you." His hand dives into his back pocket to retrieve his phone and my heart stops. He couldn't take Riley away from me.

"No really" Riley smiles. "It's fine. We've talked about it and we've actually become pretty good friends-."

He scoffs and my attention is once again fully focused on him. "Yea? Is that what you call what you are?" He starts tapping away at his phone and my anger only multiplies. "Because babe, I assure you-." His phone is raised to his ear. "He's only trying to get in your pants."

And then, I lose control of myself. Calm, cool Lucas Friar leaves the building and Texas Lucas comes out in full force with my first hurtling towards his face.

~ 📱 ~

Riley's POV

"I'm sorry" Lucas says for the millionth time as we sit at the dining table, a bag of peas resting on his knuckles. "I-I don't know what came over me-."

"You were protecting me" I reply, brushing his hair back from where it was sweeping into his eyes. He smiles softly at the gesture.

It was just the two of us now. Josh had to pull the boys apart and had decisively walked Charlie right back out the door. Shortly after, he and Maya left to beat the Times Square traffic followed shortly by Farkle and Smackle.

"Still" Lucas sighs, redirecting me back to the conversation. "I hope I didn't...scare you. Or something." He looks down at the table and I furrow my eyebrows, lifting his chin with my fingertips.

"Why would that scare me?"

He inhales shakily, kissing the palm of my hand as it comes to caress his cheek. "In Texas, I've gotten into trouble. This friend of mine-."

"Zay" I guess and he nods.

"He...doesn't always think before he acts. And sometimes, he bites off more than he can chew. And being his best friend-."

"Luke." I scoot closer to him. "I don't care about your past. I know you would never hurt me. I trust you...and I like you so, so damn much."

His smile reappears and then he's leaning and I'm leaning until finally his lips brush against mine ever so gently that I think I may have dreamed it.

Until I pull back and feel my lips tingling and my blood rushing through my veins. "Finally." We breathe out in unison before breaking into laughter that only subsides with the sound of the countdown, playing on the living room television.

"10" Lucas begins, leaning in again. And the countdown continues, the two us counting down back and forth until zero and then-. "Happy New Year's Riles."

"Happy New Year cowboy" I murmur in return before getting my midnight kiss.

~ 📱 ~

Peaches 🍑

Happy New Year!!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!
Did u get your kiss???

Well of course 💋
What about u?!?!
Did u finally get a liplock with the sexy cowboy?!

LMAO!!!!
But yes.......

OMG!!!!
Girl u are literally living a fairytale!!

I KNOW!!!
It seems too good to be true

Just be happy
Don't overthink it

I think that's gonna be my resolution

Sounds like a plan babe
Love you honey!!

Love you too peaches