Been To Hell

She inhaled sharply and looked up at him. No one had ever told her that before. They always said there must have been another way to save herself, she should have gone to the police, but that night, the night he had finally gone too far, she had no other choice. It was kill or be killed.

For the first time in her life, she wanted to live.

"Get back here, you fifthly little shit!" she heard his cries come from the hall, headed to her bedroom, she knew the lock would do little to stop the raging monster that had become her father, "Get your whore ass out here so I can finish what I should have done years ago."

Her lips trembled as her eyes misted over. She was going to die tonight, and she couldn't stop it. She couldn't stop it like all the other abuses she couldn't stop. She put her hand to her mouth to quell the sobs that built in her throat, he didn't know where she was. She couldn't give it away so soon. 

"Where the fuck are you, bitch!" he screamed trudging down the hall, stumbling this way and that, falling into the hall walls violently then slamming his fist into it. She could feel her muscles ache already. He was going to use those fists on her.

Her heart clinched and she felt like she would vomit. She knew she wasn't supposed to have anything when it was time to be punished, but she saw how much he'd been drinking. She knew it wasn't going to be the regular torment. 

Maybe it was the look in his eyes, those black blood shot eyes, that warned her he was going to end it. She grabbed a small little razor blade and hid it in her hands, he had gotten lazy in his checks and he wouldn't find it tonight. She cut the leather that held her hands tight and ran for all her worth when he had gone back upstairs for his liquor.

"Emmy?" Danny asks softly now sitting beside her, "Are you alright?"

Emmy's eyes widen with panic, feeling that night all over again, "Sorry," she said in a shaky sigh running her hands through her unruly hair, "I'm as fine as I'll ever be, I suppose."

"If I asked," Danny said softly inching closer to her and setting his hand lightly on her knee, "Would you tell me?"

Emmy opened her mouth to speck but a knock came from her door, "Hey, foods getting cold," Mark called from behind the door, "Hurry up."

Danny growled in his chest and glared at the door, "I guess we had best get dressed," Danny said handing Emmy the clothes he had picked out for her and stood, walking to the door, "I'll wait out here for you. But don't take too long," he smiled gently down at her, "I may eat without you."

He left and she could hear Mark and Danny talking as she slowly crawled off the bed and grabbed the clothes he had picked for her. It was a soft, long-sleeved light green turtle neck and blue jeans, she smiled at his thoughtfulness, he really did have good taste in clothes.

She slipped into her clothes quickly, trying to regain her calm as she slipped her necklace out from under her shirt and let it settle atop her breast. She let her fingers still on the cross that Danny had crafted for her. Her heart jerked at a realization she had been avoiding for so long. She took a deep breath and pushed the thought down. It was too risky to feel those things, too dangerous for her stability. She let out her breath and walked to the door, plastering the smile she had perfected over the years, and walked out. 

She was greeted with the smell of a chicken dinner, fried corn, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli wafting up and caressing her senses, along with the smell of fresh bread.

She walked in quietly and leaned on the frame, watching the boys as they set the table and arranged the food, Mark giving directions to Danny as they went. Then she smelt the drinks, margaritas she thought. Emmy smiled, Mark knew she was stressed and this was always his way of relaxing her. Give a drink or two and she was chill.