CHAPTER FOUR ' fur and fangs '

kiara black

          The human's mouth dropped in surprise

The human's mouth dropped in surprise. She hurriedly jogged down the stairs and embraced Kiara as a smiling Edward patted my shoulder though she could tell he wasn't happy to see her brother. In an instant, Kiara noticed how strong Bella's scent was, and that it reeked of Edward.

       "Kiara, what—when did you come back?" Bella asked, avoiding Jacob's intense gaze.

       "Yesterday, and I'm back for good this time! You know why, don't you?"

       "Yeah, Edward told me. It's pretty cool that you're a wolf. How is it? What's it like?" Bella questioned excitedly which Kiara was confused at.

"It's . . . scary. I mean, controlling my phasing has become better but it's hard to tell with my temper. You better watch out, Cullen. Got some real competition ahead of you," she smirked.

"I sure will, Kiara," Edward chuckled. It was quiet after that, only the passing chatter and light patter of rain tingled in their ears. Kiara knew her brother wanted to say something and so he did.

        "Charlie said you left town," Jacob said broodingly, his mood matching with the weather.

"Yeah. To visit my mom. Why?"

Edward grinned behind Bella, understanding Jake's reason for being there. "He's checking to see if you're still human," he scoffed, shaking his head.

"Look, we—I'm here to warn you. If your kind come on our land again—"

"Wait, what?"

       Before anyone could reply, four figures appeared beside Edward as if ready to fight. The first two were the enchanting Rosalie and Emmett. Many tried to win the hand of the god—like beauty of Rosalie though she never returned such affections as her heart belonged to Emmett, a person of brute strength. The second couple were the alluring Alice and Jasper. Where some people thought of Alice as child—like, her companion thought no such thing as his mate was nothing more but his saviour and great love.

       "What's happening here?" Emmett smirked, jokingly.

       "None of your business—"

       "Just visiting Bella is all," Kiara interrupted, glaring at her brother for almost creating an explosion. "Edward, do you mind if we take her to Emily's place?"

"Are you sure the boys won't mind? After what happened?"

"Nah, they'll be fine. They have a thing for you, anyways." Jacob grinned.

       Kiara and Bella said their farewells as they made their way to the car with the gases of the pale ones' following them as they entered. Driving to Emily's, Jacob and Bella sat in awkward silence, only talking when Kiara started the conversation. Finally, and thankfully, arriving at their destination, Kiara could already hear the ruckus coming from the heart of the house. She parked the car and made her out to see the boys galloping down the steps, all shirtless.

       "Hey, look who's back!"

"What up, Bella?"

"Quil, you too?" asked Bella as Kiara stole Jared's chicken and quickly munched on it.

       "Yep, finally made the pack!"

"I'm glad you're here, Bella. Maybe we can get a break from Jake's obsessive inner monologue!" Embry smirked, avoiding eye contact with Jacob.

"Oh my god, tell me about it. What should I do when I see Bella?" she added.

"Wish Bella would call!" Paul teasing, hitting the youngster.

"Wish Bella wouldn't call!" Jared laughed.

       "Guys, come on. Let's leave the two lovebirds alone." Kiara laughed, sensing Jacob's anger.

       Jacob's temper got the better of him and suddenly tried taking a swing at his sister but she swiftly backed away, transforming into her other form. Unlike some of the pack, she had snow—white fur and yellowish—orange, almost amber, eyes. Bella's jaw dropped in seeing her friend's transformation. The human's scent was unusual; thick and metallic, it had to be the scent of a vampire. In her other form, she had complete control but now, it was different. Kiara was back home and everything was familiar . . . too familiar.

"Kiara, hey."

       The wolf turned sharply to the sound of Paul's soothing voice, her focus moving to Bella who slowly backed away from the beast in front of her. Snarling, Jake stood in front of the human and so did the rest of the boys. Kiara could hear Bella's rapid heartbeat; she still wasn't used to their world. The world she craved to be in, to so desperately be a part of . . . but it wasn't all about vampires and werewolves starting wars. It was also about taking precautions to make sure one didn't start.

It wasn't just about playing around with your abilities and enjoying the things you couldn't do as a human. It was also about hiding yourself from the possibility of getting exposed because of what you were. If you played with fire then you'd end up in flames.

       "You don't want to do this, sis. Come on, you're better than that."

       "Shut up!"

At that moment, Sam appeared. Spotting Kiara in her other form, he leapt from the house to face her. He phased, growling at her but the defensive and dominant side of Kiara didn't care. Sam may have been the Alpha but Kiara's stubbornness didn't always allow her to listen to his commands. He tried standing taller, brooder and growling louder but again, she did not care.

      "I thought you had this under control, Kiara."

       "Back off, Sam."

Kiara wasn't sure what caused her to phase, she was used to the boys' play fighting with her. Maybe it was the familiarity of being in the place where she first phased or the unusual scent of vampire that she hadn't seen in a while, who knows? She realised that those tactics of controlling her phase wouldn't work in Forks. There were too many factors with one important factor being the vampires.

      Kiara didn't want to turn back. She felt too embarrassed and ashamed. She had come back and told them all that she was stable but this situation made her a liar. She glared at the pack, not daring to look at Bella, and ran off to wherever safe place she could find . . .