Chapter 22

DeAnna Kastell

I climbed into X's car and adjusted my shorts, feeling sort of exposed but feeling a lot more like the old me. "You're doing that thing where you think too hard, Dea," X told me as he climbed into the driver's seat.

"This is my first real public appearance since the break up with Brian and the fact I'm a recovering addict has probably started circulating around the school already," I told him and he took my hand.

"It'll be fine, Dea, you're amazing and people love you, and given the fact Brian cheated on you, you're probably new town favourite," X told me and he pulled away from the curb.

"Yeah but that's the sweet shy Dee, not tattooed New Yorker Dea," I pointed out to him.

"You're lovable no matter what sweetheart," X assured me and I pulled my sketch pad from my bag. It was the one with all my scholarship ideas in it, including all the ones for my recent redesign. I was drawing a template for our couple tattoos to go on the piece, just the crown and the castle.

"So you think we can blow the lid of everything in one go or is it more an ebbs and flows thing?" X asked me and I had a text from Jessie then one from Harry.

'Jessie Bae: Harry and I have popcorn for the big arrival'

'Harrison Ford: I also have little mix's Power in the queue and a loud Bluetooth speaker for a more dramatic entrance'

"I love Harry," I decided, "he thinks it'll be like a music video when I get out of the car," I told him and fired back a quick response.

'Me: Fuck it - lets go full music video on this shit'

"You've told him to do it, haven't you?" He asked me.

"Why wouldn't I tell him to do something that stupid?" I countered with and he couldn't deny that Harry was stupid in a good way.

"See, still the same Dea, no matter what skin you're in," X told me and I smiled a little.

"You make it sound like I'm a shapeshifter," I told him and he drove through the gates of school.

"You adapt to survive, Dea, have since the day you were born," X pointed out as he pulled up in his usual space. "You ready to make a big reappearance, DeAnna Martina Castello de Rosa-Iglesias?" X asked me and I gave him a look.

He climbed out of the car and I watched him walk around the car before I grabbed my bag. I slung the strap over my shoulder as the door opened and heard the music from Harry's way too loud speaker. It was reaching the chorus as I climbed out of the car.

X helped me out and shut the door behind me as I lowered my sunglasses over my eyes. "They're staring because we look incredible together," X told me and I could feel all their eyes on us, the ex-gang lieutenant and the ex-junkie.

"Come on, lets go say hi to my maniac best friend, your weird best friend, and Jessie's moody brother," I said and nodded towards the maniac waving like crazy from the roof of Harry's car. Will was leaning against it, looking equal parts confused and embarrassed.

We walked over to them and people kept staring at us. "Very teen movie entrance," Jessie said as she climbed down from the roof of the car.

"Blame Ford," I said whilst gesturing to Harry.

"Please don't call me Ford, DeAnna Martina," he said and looked to Jessie, "Jezebel-Royale might start a fight to protect her weirdo friend and Xavier Griffin would have to step in," Harry said, using middle names for impact and getting two punches for it.