Chapter 35

DeAnna Kastell

I walked into the kitchen to my brother and my fiancé arguing about something. "Yo! Bitches!" I yelled and they both shut up. "Why are we arguing?" I asked them. Everyone living together had actually been going really well for the past three months.

"It's your 3 year soberversary next week," Frank said, putting the lid on his travel mug.

"I already have plans with NA squad," I told him, "Stephie, Chris, Adrien and I are going to a meeting then we're going to get pie," I told them, hopping up onto the counter and putting in a K-cup into the machine.

"Told you she'd already have plans," X told my brother as Jessie let herself into the house.

"Can't believe you're still okay all living together," Jess said as I started sipping my beautiful hazelnut coffee.

"So how much money have you lost?" I asked her.

"Oh I haven't, Harry owes me fifty bucks," she told me and leaned on the counter. "Never bet against a Brand," she said confidently.

"Shouldn't you be getting to work?" I asked my brother. He checked his watch and bolted out of the house.

"So what are we doing for soberversary?" Jessie asked us.

"Dea already has plans without her brother, her fiancé or her best friends," X told her and Jessie's jaw dropped.

"It's an NA celebration, I'm celebrating it with NA," I defended my opinion. "It's my soberversary, I'll celebrate it how I want," I told them both.

"She's right," Jessie agreed, "besides, we have an engagement party to plan," she pointed out and that was why she was here.

"Where's Harry?" I asked her.

"Don't know, told me he was on his way here when I was getting on the bus," Jessie said and we all got our phones out to text Harry individually. It shouldn't take him that long to get to my house from his, definitely should have got here before Jessie.

"Anyone?" I asked them both.

"Nothing," Jessie said.

"Ditto," X added and decided to straight up call him.

It rang twice before being picked up, "Where the hell are you dude?" He asked him and he face fell, "shit, what hospital?" He asked, "yeah, I'm his best friend, I'll call his parents," he said and hung up.

"What's happened?" I asked him, immediately worried about Harry, as he put the phone in his pocket and grabbed his keys off the counter.

"Harry was caught in a drive by," he told me and he had to be joking. Our town was shit quiet when it came to stuff like that since we didn't have gangs here.

"What hospital did they take him to?" I asked, throwing my coffee to the sink so we could go be with our best friend.

"General," he told me and I took his keys. I'd get us there quicker than him because I knew where we were going unlike him.

I got behind the wheel and I drove like a demon. Last time I'd come to General was when Jessie headbutted a locker and she's needed her forehead gluing back together. It had been an eventful day with a lot of money exchanging hands in stupid bets.

"Shit man, three injured, one dead," Jessie read from a news article she found online.

"No Mrs Ford, we don't know anything either," X told Harry's mom, "cops just told me he's at General, we're just pulling up now," he told her and we pulled up in the lot.