Chapter 13

"Grace, I'm not asking you again. Open this goddamn door."

The pounding on the door kept echoing through my half decorated room. It just kept getting louder and louder, feeling like the door itself came closer to my face. Fear crept into me not wanting that feeling to go away. I hear James screaming my name and threatening me if I didn't open the door at that very moment. Then, a voice was talking to James.

"Let me try, James," Soft and demanding the voice said.

I heard James huff in anger but the footsteps went away and the door slammed in frustration. Knowing James in the short amount of time from being adopted, he's just a dog. A dog that would attack a person out of nowhere but when someone tells him to back away, he does.

"Grace." The voice said softly.

"Is James really gone?" I asked.

"Yes."

With that three-lettered word, I opened the door, revealing a really cute boy. Shaggy short brown hair, crystal blue eyes, and a shy smile that make your heart melt for days. Seeing this boy made my heart tug a little, but knowing that he's one of my sadistic brother's friend he could be just as crazy as James. After a couple more seconds that we both stood and faced each other, we smiled shyly at one another not knowing what to say. Then, the boy broke the awkward silence between us.

"I'm sorry, we never introduce ourselves properly. My name is Benvolio Canti but everyone calls me Ben." He eagerly put out his hand infront of him.

"Well, you know name and it's Grace and everyone calls me Grace." I chuckled softly.

"A pleasure to meet you, Grace."

Ben, slowly takes my hand and rise it to his lips, kissing my hand, making my whole body rise fifty degrees than normal. His actions made me blush and I guessed he notice when he started laughing. We started making small talk about each other but I left the question about how did become friends with a despicable, sadistic, and abuser that is my adoptive brother? Through our small talk, both us didn't hear James's bedroom door open. Ben started telling me about how he and Jame use to scay all the neighborhood children on Halloween just to get their candy. I laughed and then I turned my head slightly to James and his other friend standing in my doorway, furiously red in the face.

"Oh, you're both for it now!" He growled.

When I thought my life was worse before, what James did before was only the beginning to my years of torture from him.