8. The Choice of the Deceased

We flew back to Karma's mansion by dawn.

Sidiq took the liberty of getting Veronica back in her hotel of which I was thankful for.

Karma asked him if he wanted to stay and maybe get some rest after that but he politely declined the offer, saying he had to get back to Russia to his wife and daughter.

"Thanks for helping me out today Sidiq, it means a lot for both me and Veronica."

"Its the least I can do for you saving my girls back in Germany, I still can't believe how you beheaded that war monger in front of all his followers. A war could've sparked if it weren't for you and your brother. Goodluck on finding him by the way, I look forward to seeing you both again."

"Same here, be careful on your way back okay? Tell the wife and lil Silia I said hi."

"Will do, kid."

Once Sidiq's helicopter flew off I helped tipsy over here inside his mansion.

We were walking down the hall to his room when he decided to strike up a drunk conversation.

"Did you know,"

"Know what?"

"That Marcus Brutus was an asshole to Julius Caesar because he's jealous of the fact that JC is a great ruler."

And I just rolled with it. "Really? Well that sucks."

"Yeah so he plotted with a bunch of other dickheads to assassinate Caesar in a supposed meeting. To think that they were besties when Brutus literally stabbed his friend in the back."

"Et tu Brute." I shrugged. "Lesson learned from one of Rome's first Triumvirate, sometimes putting too much trust into someone can be your own undoing,"

Karma abruptly stopped in his tracks.

Confused, I looked back at him. "What's wrong?"

He had his head down which made it difficult to see his eyes.

"You okay?"

"I could've died tonight, you know, because I trusted you."

It took me aback for a second.

"That's not what I meant-"

"Then what?" He's upset, there's no denying it.

"Karma, listen, I took you on a crazy evening because it looked like you needed it. I can tell you've been alone in this place for a long time to the point that this isn't home anymore, but an isolation cell; an open one that you refuse to leave because.. well because where will you go then?" I closed the gap between us and stared at his dull eyes.

They look so bright but dim at the same time up close.

"I'm sorry if you feel that way, I was just trying to help."

A full minute of silence nearly killed me, the anxiety gnawed at my mind.

Karma sighed, then ruffled my hair. "Come on, I'll walk you home."

"You don't need to do that."

"I want to."

"No, you should get some sleep-"

"Then sleep with me." He reached for my hand and held it tightly. "Not fuck, I'm in no mood to have sex. I just wanna sleep, with you that is."

Is this the situation where a girl like me should be blushing and all that crap? Oh well, I'm so tired I can't do anything but stare at his eyes.