Out of the Dark (Binding of Isaac)

None of the characters mentioned in this story (minus the police officers) as well as some plot elements and items mentioned are owned by me.  They are owned by Edmund McMillen and the other creators of The Binding of Isaac.

The dirt on the basement floor crunched under the man's slick dark shoes.  His flashlight cut through the darkness like a knife, driving back the black abyss with every movement.  Gun raised, he looked down every hallway, inspected every corner, looking for something.  He knew the thing that he was searching for was here, he just didn't know where.

"Rick?  Did you find anything?" called a voice from the surface.

"No, did you?" Rick called back.  The other man replied with a no and stated that he was coming down to help search.  "Damn it's dirty down here" the other man commented as he caught up to Rick.  "Yeah well get used to it because I haven't even searched through half the rooms here" said Rick.  The other man shook his head.

"Well if this kid is down here then we need to find him fast".  

The two investigated for a while, looking in rooms and peering down hallways until Rick grabbed the other mans arm.  Wordlessly, he pointed to something in the darkness.  The other man aimed his flashlight at the place Rick was referring to: a large rock in the cross section between two hallways.  "Rick, I don't see anything" said the other man.  

"I'm telling you Sam I saw-- there!"  A small figure darted out from behind the rock and began to run down one of the hallways, with Rick and Sam quickly giving chase.

"Hey- stop!  We're not here to hurt you" Sam called out.  The child continued running until their foot snagged on something and sent them tumbling to the ground.  Rick and Sam were able to catch up and tried to help the child up, but he wrestled away from the men and backed up against the wall, starting to cry.  Sam knelt down in front of the trembling boy.  "Hey there little guy, we aren't here to hurt you, we just want to help" he said.  "My name's Sam, what's yours?" The boy looked up at him.  

"I-Is-saac" he sniffled, tears streaming down his face.  "Well Isaac, I'm here to take you home.  Do you think you can come with me?" Sam asked, offering his hand to Isaac.  Isaac looked at it for a few seconds until finally reaching out his own trembling hand and taking it.  Sam helped Isaac up and started to follow Rick out but Isaac tugged on his hand.  

"W-we can't leave without my friends"  he said.  Sam and Rick exchanged a look.  "You mean there are more kids down here?"  Rick asked.  Isaac nodded and began to lead the two men down the hallway.  "So how many people are down here?" Rick asked.  Isaac looked back at him and squeezed Sam's hand harder.  

"I don't know, but Maggy should be around here somewhere".  Isaac led the two men into a room littered with large rocks.  Still not letting go of Sam's hand, he looked around each of them until finally he reached out to grab something and a tuft of golden blonde hair appeared above the rock.  

Rick watched as more and more hair appeared until finally someone holding an oddly-shaped red object stepped out from behind the rock.  The young girl, who Rick and Sam assumed was 'Maggy', took one look at the men and recoiled behind Isaac.  It seemed to only be a gut reaction though, as she came back out behind him and gave the men a small smile.  Isaac seemed happy to be with another friend and finally let go of Sam's hand to whisper something in Maggy's ear.  The young girl walked up to Sam and held out her hand.  

"I'm Magdalene" she said. Sam reached out and shook her hand, introducing himself like he had done with Isaac.  A handshake didn't seem to be what Magdalene was going for and she looked confused for a moment, but she seemed comforted by what Sam had to say and smiled at him.