Chapter 25

The inside of the prison is much like any other prison. A desk in the front where a sleeping policeman rests and several prisons lined up after that.

I tilt my head up to Yoru's ear. "Why are they empty?"

Yoru shakes his head. "Don't know." Hiromi leans over the desk until his face is inches away from the policeman's. "Hey!" he shouts so loud the police man's eyes fly open and he crashes to the floor from his chair.  The policeman shakes his head and rises to his feet. 

"What do you want?" he says, more than a hint of annoyance in his voice.  Hiromi straightens his jacket before replying.  "We're here to see Rida." 

The policeman's eyes widen. "Rida? Why do you want to see her?" 

"I am not inclined to answer your question. Just give me the key to her cell." 

"Fine," the policeman replies before reaching his hand into his drawer and pulling out a set of keys. He hands them to Hiromi. "She's downstairs," he says. Hiromi nods his thanks before proceeding to grab my hand and pull me with him. Yoru follows closely behind. Hiromi pulls me with him down the winding staircase until we reach the bottom,  but his hand doesn't release mine. He uses his other hand to flick the light on. The light illuminates another long row of empty cells, except for the one at the end. The silhouette of a woman sits hunched over in it. "Mother?" I whisper. 

The figure's head snaps up. "Kireina?" she rasps.