Birth

-Tyler-

Seeing her like this is really taking a toll on me mentally. I mean, it would've been different if it was just the birth, but her brother has added so much stress to the situation on both ends.

I snap back to reality after realizing how hard Skylar is squeezing my hand, "Ow, you'll break it," I smile half-heartedly, at a loss for words.

Nothing I can do or say will make this any better. I can't take her pain and I can't help her brother... How do people have the heart to hurt others? Especially if you once loved them! Well, that is, if you loved them at all. Which is really sad, Seth is a good guy, he wouldn't toy with someone like that. So maybe he really liked her and she was just in it for fun...

Or maybe they just fell out of love.

It sounds crazy, I know, but love does strange things. Perhaps love may even be the reason couples fall out of love. I think with certain people, they get to the point where they love someone so much that they physically can't love anymore. Maybe that's how relationships fail.

"T-yler.."

I snap my full attention to my wife, "Yes?"

"Give me your--shirt."

I'm a little confused but take it off anyway. That's when she balls it up and bites it. I can't help but laugh a little. She's still cute though. I take out my phone and snap a picture. You know, for the sake of memories.

Now she really screams into the shirt as the doctor walks back in. He pauses and stares at me, which is when I first realize I'm shirtless. I quickly cover myself with my hands and give a nervous smile.

His eyes pop before he says, "Alright, let's see if we're good to go."

After yet another check, the doctor finally smiles, "It's time."

"Ah jeez," I choke.

He hits a button and a few nurses surge into the room. They throw scrubs at me, "Wear these."

I slip them on quick and take a leg. "Ready, Mrs Joseph?" She screams into the shirt in response. "Push!" He advises.

***

Many agonizing minutes pass before the head even shows. Then the shoulders, then it's out. Skylar is crying and dry heaving at this point. I'm so happy I could just scream.

"Dad, would you like to cut the cord?" a smiley nurse asks. My mouth is too dry to speak but I eagerly nod. They show me where to snip and so I do as I'm told.

"It's a girl!" The doctor exclaims.