CHAPTER 1

ELIZA'S POV

It was a cool Sunday evening in the Hamilton household. I was beginning to cook supper for Alexander and my son Phillip. The kitchen was filled with different smells that merged together to create one smell. It didn't smell like a mixture, everything was perfectly mixed. I breathed in deeply to fill my senses with the aroma that filled the air. I poured water on the fire to blow it out and I walked upstairs to Alexander's office. I lean on the doorway, to see him with his reading glasses on and his eyes intently at a piece of paper. He eventually looks up and moves his hand over the piece of paper, making me suspicious.
"Hey." He said with his charming toothy grin.
"Hi." I said softly.
"Supper's ready."
"I'll be there in a minute." He said putting his focus back into his work. I walk into to the room. He doesn't look up so I say:
"Alexander, you've missed supper three times this week." This makes him look up and he puts his pen down.
"I know, I'm sorry I've been so busy lately. Washington has been putting a lot of pressure on me-"
"I know." I said interrupting him. My tone visibly irritated.
"Well," I sigh. "I'm guess it's going to be just me and Phillip again."
I leave his office hoping he'll stop me but no words escape his lips. He lets me walk away. I walk downstairs to the table seeing that Phillip is already there.
"Is Daddy coming to eat with us?" He asks. I look at him. His face is so similar to his fathers, he has the same determination in his eyes. He has his nose, his stubbornness, and his passion.
"No, not tonight." I pause. "Just us."
"Oh." He says sadly.
Phillip and I sit at the table in silence. Phillip eats quickly eventually leaving me alone with my thoughts. I can't help but feel that things have changed since Alexander and I have gotten married. He's claimed to be more busy and he's been more distant. I wake up in the middle of the night and he's not in bed. He's either not at home or at his desk. Maybe it's just me but my instincts tell me something's changed about him. I sit at the table moving my food around my plate staring into space. I look at the clock and see that it's 9:35 pm. I throw away my supper that was wasted, and then I go up into my room. I sit on my bed and rub my temples. I feel conflicted about Alexander, so I decide to write a letter to my sister Angelica. I can really confide in her and tell her anything.
Angelica,
How are you dear sister, I have missed you so. I need you to visit me and Alexander's home downtown. I feel as if me and Alexander's relationship is falling apart. I know we've only been together for two years, but something has changed about him. I know you can help me. Please get back to me as soon as you can.
Sincerely,
Eliza
I go and mail the letter immediately, as I'm coming back to my house, I see Alexander walking east. I stay far enough away for him not to see me, but enough that I can see him. He turns the corner  and I can't see him anymore. I furrow my brows, confused. I want to follow him, but I know it's wrong. I walk back home continually