Fissure (3)

CHAPTER THREE. 

My fingers curled around my circular mug and the warmth seeped into my palms, making my otherwise freezing, dead cold hands hum with brilliant warmth. I took a sip of the hot cocoa, and instantly compared it to the one Dale made me. This one failed on millions of accounts, whereas Dale’s was perfect. 

Claudia, my only friend thought it was a good idea to drag me to the mall because after another boring monotonous week of school I was beginning to look brooding and angst-full. Little did she know I was fighting off haunters inside my own head and all I wanted to do right now was get out of Fissure to the world of slight-normalcy I once knew. There were no ghosts in the city, none I could see; it was normal and nice and calming and the only supernatural thing I had to worry about were my heightened senses every time I walked into a new shop -- and back in the city they were beginning to fade quicker! 

I couldn’t complain to anyone about this stupid mess because somehow, it was my own mess and I needed to clean it up by myself. 

“So, girl with the touch,” Claudia said, using her nickname for me -- I wonder is it really a nick name if the nick name is longer then someone’s actual name? Maybe I’d call it a pet name... “Dating Dale, huh?” 

“Yeah,” I breathed, unable to talk about much else, it was so obvious, the goon greeted me with kisses in the hall that almost got us a detention. 

“That’s cute, you two make a perfect couple. I wonder why he spoke to you out of all the new people in the school, there was a couple of people there he did speak to, but once he met you he stopped speaking to them completely. It’s like you were all that mattered.” 

“That’s sweet, I guess?” 

“Uh-huh,” She said without conviction, “Ugh, I need a boyfriend. I feel like the forever alone friend who sits in the corner and cries at awesome parties while people dance and kiss in slow motion around her.” 

It made me crack a smile, “I’d knock them all over with a broom personally, PDA. Ew.” Claudia hit me. 

“Ow!” I screeched, rubbing my shoulder, “What was that for?” 

“Being stupid, your boyfriend is the most perfect guy in the world and he loves kissing you in public and he’s so good to you! He’d never leave you and he seems really dedicated and ew, I’m speaking like a fan. That’s so gross, I need a boyfriend really badly.” 

“I volunteer as tribute!” Someone shouted across the room. Running towards our seat with great enthusiasm. He wore a dark grey sweater paired with expensive looking designer jeans. He was hot. Nothing on Dale, but he was very, very attractive. “I heard someone was looking for a new boyfriend, isn’t it lucky I was in the immediate vicinity?” he looked at me and paused mouth dropping open slightly, “Who’s your friend?” 

“She’s taken -- James, I need a boyfriend. Seriously, someone I like too, and someone who’s nice. So, anyone but you. Got anyone in mind?” 

“Harsh,” he purred moving forwards, sinking towards our table with effortless grace,“Oh come on, Cloudy, you know you love me. You had a crush on me what you were little, I bet you still do.” 

“No, idiot. I had a crush on the thought of having designer crayons, not you. Though they do amount to equal worth.” 

“Ouch, I’m going to go cry now.” His voice was mocking as he moved closer towards the table, his fingernails drumming against the plastic counter nervously. 

“Who are you?” I finally asked, getting over how attractive he was and remembering how to use my mouth to speak. He shrugged, a dramatical expression on his face.