24

Marcy came out to the semi's. "How many are you taking again?" She cradled Brad.
"Two." Tim said with a clipboard and pencil. "One for food and clothes and the other is self explanatory. Were about to head out."
"Ok but first can I check your equipment. Xian stowed herself away."
"Ok. We had nobody guarding so its most likely we have some." Tim gave a little laugh.
Marcy handed the baby to Tim and opened the back. She took in all the imperishable food and pieces of meat hanging on one side. The clothes packed in marked box's on the other. "Xian darling your needed at the base." No response. "Don't make me come in there. You won't like the outcome." She sounded like a parent.

Tim stood their with the baby. Holding it out from him. He has no idea what to do. They just stared awkwardly at each other.
He made a face and Brad laughed. Then he stuck his tounge out. Brad grabbed hold and tried pulling it out.
"Can I have my tounge back?" Tim said to him. His little nails started drigging into it and he pulled it away painfully.
Xian came out of the truck with her head down. "Yea?"
Tim turned his attention back to Brad. "Your a cute little booger. How am I supposed to hold you?" Brad latched hold to his shirt amd pulled in like a hug. He adjusted his arms so he doesn't drop him. "Guess thats how."
"Aww. Tim made a friend." Jack said coming out with his old machete.
"Marcy handed him to me." Tim rejected it.
Jack pulled out his old phone and took a picture. "Cute."
"I hate you." Tim said sticking his neck out like a joke.
"You love us and you know it." Jack gave a smile and took Brad. "Need to hold my son one last time." He pulled something out of his pocket. "Here you go buddy. A pocket watch."
Brad observed it in his little hands. He rubbed the bronze coin on it and looked up at him. A smile and a little show of happiness is all it took for Jack to shed a tear.
"Im gonna give you back to mommy now. Love ya little bud." Jack kissed his forehead."
Marcy took him. "Be careful, love." And gave a kiss.
The trucks roared to life and Jack went to the lead one. He sat down slumping.
Luke looked at himself in the side view mirror. "Whats wrong?"
"Nothin."
Nick gave a thumbs up and they pulled out of the school grounds. "Listen bro. Your gonna see them again. I promise."
Jacks chest felt heavy. "Maybe. With all these new infected its a slim chance."
"There's your problem, Jack. You act to much like Tim. Brighten up. Soon you'll have dark rings like his around your eyes. Ill start havin to call you Tom."
"You don't understand." Jack stared at him.
"Pretty sure I do. Your going to miss Marcy and your kid. That's absolutely reasonable. I lost my kid to the infection." Luke said pulling a picture put of his pocket.
"How old are you again?"
"Im eighteen. Had him when I was sixteen. My love didn't make it through birth."
"Health complications." He looked out the window.
"Yea." Luke sighed. It went quite and all is left is the roar of the engine. He looked down at the picture and gave a light smile. "This is for you."