Chapter 6: Lucille

“Negative,” Eugene frowned, a slight crease forming between his brows. He dumped the contents of the test tube in a bucket and washed it out in the sink. He turned towards me with a weary sigh. “Maybe tomorrow, we’ll get some results,” he gave me a faint smile and slid off a pair of old fashioned glasses.

We had been in the lab for hours and soon after our blood was tested and analyzed, Eugene had discovered Rain’s abilities. Apparently Rain had been ignorant of his abilities, or maybe he had been hiding them. Nonetheless, Eugene had less luck with my blood sample. Of the multiple tests he had performed on them, all of the trails had failed. I didn’t know whether I should be anxious or relieved.

My stomach gave a low rumble and when Eugene looked down at it, I flushed slightly. I hadn’t had anything to eat today since this morning when Eugene handed us both a curious tasting muffin.

“Food,” He said, as if it were foreign to him “Yes, we should get some food,” he said with more confidence and came out of his sciency haze.

“Rain!” he barked and Rain’s eyes fluttered open. He swung his legs over from one of the beds in the lab.

“Done?” Rain yawned, scratching his head.

“We’re going to eat dinner,” he explained and when Rain gave him a blurry look, he added “Food,” in a simpler tone.

 “Oh, food!” Rain’s brain finally registered the word “Awesome.”

I rolled my eyes at the primitive responses of the two guys. And I was relying on one to get us out of here? I probably should start noting possible supply sources, weapons, and escape routes. Defiantly the lab, I thought, looking around at the scalpels, needles, and chemicals. Such potential…

“Hurry up slowpoke!” Rain pulled me out the door and I groaned.

“Point of injury,” I gestured towards the arm he was pulling and he grunted.

“Since when did a small pinprick ever bother you?”

I stuck my tongue out at him “When I got a pint of blood sucked out.”

“Wimp”

“Milksop”

“Snollygoster”

“Ninnyhammer”

“Mouth breather”

I gave him an exasperated look. “What kind of insult is that? It’s a way of living.”

His smile grew larger “You’re secretly jealous of the nose breathers.”

“You know you sound ridiculous right now, right?” I gave him an incomprehensible look.

“Kids,” Eugene spoke up and we glared at him.

“We’re 17!” we shot back in unison.

“Whatever,” he rolled his eyes, “Just try to behave yourself in the dining hall okay?”

Rain reluctantly nodded and I shook my head like a rebel.

Eugene gave an frustrated sigh “Miracle, if you don’t behave, I swear I will-” before he could finish his sentence the doors in front of us flung open and a mass of cupcakes rained down on us. I hopped every which way to stay out of the falling cakes. Rain ducked and narrowly missed getting a cupcake face plant but Eugene wasn’t so lucky, he had gotten a cupcake straight to the face, frosting and all. “Lucille!” roared a furious Eugene.

And then I saw the pinkest creature in my entire life. She had rosy skin with electric pink hair, a frilly pink dress that puffed out at her shoulders and hips, a pair of pink socks and pink heels. She looked like Barbie risen from the dead.