08

I have so much I want to say.

First, I did not get a chance to see the Dormouse about the strange things that keep happening.

Second, it took me ages to get the chance to write everything down. ...I should start with the beginning.

It was about two day later than my last entry when it happened. Alice still hadn't come back to see the Queen. I was beside His Majesty. He was sitting on his throne, as always. He was talking out loud, like he liked to do, while looking at some files. He knew someone, me, was listening to him as he wondered.

"The people of Wonderland are not supposed to have any goals..." he said softly, looking towards the large door of the room. "No one should have goals, except Alice... And then there's the Hatter."

I had not responded. I was tired of staying silent, but there would be no consequences if I respected the rules.

But something was bothering me. Why couldn't we have any goals? Surely, someone would have an objective or something...

Or maybe everyone had simply a hope, like I had, to escape their life as it was now.

That was when a maid came running in.

"Your Majesty..." she only managed to say before she collapsed on the ground. She appeared to have been shot in the chest, probably in the heart.

So there was an intruder. It was rare. The Hatter sometimes liked to menace the Queen, the Cat had attacked once and had failed. But a serious attack like that... who could it be?

I looked at the Queen, who smiled.

"Go, Jack."

I nodded and walked out the room in silence. Just outside the throne room... Was the Dormouse. I felt kind of sad. I did not feel like killing him. He was pretty nice to me during the few times I had met him. And if I killed him... I would never have an answer to my questions.

But I could not disobey my Queen.

I unsheathed my sword and approached the other man in silence. His back faced me and he seemed to be putting more bullets in his gun.

I attacked him instantly with my sword. Sadly, he turned as I struck and I only scratched his arm. Maybe he heard my footsteps or the sound of the hilt of my sword on my outfit.

I faced the Dormouse. Emotionless... I must remain emotionless. Don't move your lips. Face him without fear.

"You're..." he said as he pointed his gun at me.

I did not react and readied my blade. I obeyed the Queen's orders. That was my role. And so I had to protect the Queen. Whatever the cost may be.

"...Heh. Looks like you're in a bit of a bother yourself, fella," continued the older man.