10

I had to go to another party today. I wasn't really happy to go, but the host was an important business ally of my uncle, so I had to go and socialize.

I would've preferred to go on a date with her instead.

Anyway, the party was at a casino in town, so at least it was close to my home. I said hi to the friend I was supposed to talk with and chatted a bit with it. I said so many lies, it wasn't even funny. I wish I could just stop talking sometimes.

We then decided to play a game of blackjack. Two women joined me and the friend. We went to a table... And to my surprise, it was ----------!

I had not seen him since last party, about three weeks ago, and there he was, with the card dealer uniform. The women were smitten by his good looks. He immediately recognized me and smiled, greeting me at the same time.

He told me that this was his job, and that last time, it was one of his friends that had invited him. As soon as they learned that he was only a card dealer, the women decided that I was definitely a better suitor, being rich and all. I hate that all they see is my newly gained fortune.

At least, I have her. She likes me for me I am.

And so we started the game. The friend was playing to win, I was playing for fun, the women were playing to impress me. The friend was already married, so they were obviously trying to get me...

And of course, when I start talking, there's no stopping me. I always seem nice and easy-going, when I actually don't care at all and wish that they'd leave me alone. I wonder why that is so. At least I gave the attention they wanted.

Actually, the game was fun. The card dealer kept making small talk and it was very nice. I think we'd make good friends. Yet again, just as the last time, there was some kind of awkwardness when I talked to the other guests. He seemed colder and gave off weird vibes. And again, it looked like I was the only one who was bothered. I hid behind a smile, but each time I looked at him while talking to one of the women, it felt weird. His eyes were cold as ice even if he was smiling.

Why did no one see what I saw?

Maybe I'm just over thinking things. He's probably jealous that I got all of the attention...

I lost the game to my friend, but I didn't mind. The rest of the group went to talk to the other guests, and I was left alone with him.

"Enjoying the party?" I asked, smiling.

"Yes, quite much," he answered, locking his dark red eyes into mine. Weird, because now, he didn't seem bothered at all. He looked happy. I must've imagined his anger before.

We chatted some more. I don't exactly remember what we talked about. It does not matter. One on one, he was quite charming and had a magnetic personality. I remember thinking that he should've been the rich, not me. He seemed way nobler than I was.

Other people came to play, and we lost sight of each other. I was occupied with people till the end of the party. I glanced back at the card dealer's table, to see occupied by the two women who had played with me in the first game. They seemed completely under his charm. Could they not see how he played with them and didn't actually care about them?

Maybe it was just my impression.

I still feel bad for them.

Talking about women... I still haven't seen the women I met at the last party. I wanted to talk to them about introducing them to my love, but they weren't there today. Strange. I had thought they enjoyed such parties...

And so I decided to go back home. It was late enough, and I had participated enough. I'm going to go to sleep. I hope I can see her tomorrow.

----------------------.