Beauty and the Beast

Conner tried his best to sit still in the bathtub as Wally, Kaldur and Robin scrubbed and rinsed him.  "Tonight is the night!", the human-turned-candelabra proclaimed as he poured another bottle of cologne on his friend.  "The rose only has four petals left.  Midnight's in only six hours.  You have to make your move tonight."

Conner groaned as he lifted himself out of the tub.  "I don't know if I can pull this off."  He glanced over at the dying rose.  One look at it told him he was just deluding himself.  Nevertheless, Wally went on as Kaldur dried him off.  "There will be candlelight and romantic music, provided by yours truly.  And then, when the right moment comes, you'll confess your love for her!"

Conner seated himself in front of his mirror.  "How will I know when it's the right moment?"  "You'll feel slightly nauseous.", Robin answered.  Conner sighed.  "Do you really think I can do this?"  "You do care about M'gann, don't you?"  "Of course I do!", Conner said, sounding surprised that someone even needed to ask.  "Than quit being so nervous!", Wally said as he began to work on Conner's thinning hair.  "Ladies like guys who are confident."

Kaldur handed him the clothes that had been selected for him.  It was a simple black tuxedo with a black tie and shiny cufflinks, complete with dressy shoes.  It was too fancy for Conner's taste, but M'gann was worth it.
-------------------
"Ow!"  M'gann struggled to breathe as Raquel pulled the corset strings tighter and tighter.  "Hold still!", the wardrobe ordered.  "You have to look your best tonight!"  "Why?", M'gann asked, the words struggling to get out of her squished-in chest.  "Its just the two of us."

"Oh, come on!", Artemis said, carrying M'gann's clothes over to her.  "Don't you want to look nice for your date tonight?"  "This isn't a date!", M'gann protested as Raquel tied the strings, setting her corset in place.  "Its just dinner between friends."  "Sure, hon.", the feather duster said sarcastically.  "You keep telling yourself that."  M'gann felt her cheeks heat up as Raquel went to work styling her hair.

Ever since he had rescued her from becoming wolf food, M'gann had felt a serious shift in her relationship with Conner.  For the first time since she had left Mount Justice, she felt as if she was really able to connect with someone.  She felt as if she could tell him anything.  Whenever they were together, it felt just like it had when they had first met.  It was as if the past four years had never even happened.

Finally, Raquel slipped the gown over M'gann's head and adjusted it a bit before standing back and admiring her work.  "Not too bad if I do say so myself."  She turned her towards the mirror, and M'gann gasped in awe of her own reflection.  Half of her long hair had been pulled back into a tiny bun near the top of her head, adorned with gold laurel leaves, while the rest hung past her shoulders in soft curls.  She wore a lovely gold necklace with a white-gold tree pendant, a simple gold bangle bracelet, and golden stud earrings.

The dress was something out of M'gann's wildest fantasies.  It was as yellow as the sun, making her red hair seem even redder and more vibrant.  It was so light, she felt as if she were wearing nothing.  The short sleeves and sleek neckline kept her modest, and the ruffled skirt floated around her like a golden halo.  It shone with every movement she made, catching the light and casting it back into the room, making soft swishing sounds all the while.

Raquel examined her from head to toe.  "Its missing something...I know what it needs!"  She reached into one of her drawers and thrust her hand out.  A cloud of glittering golden dust floated over M'gann's head and settled onto the skirt and neckline of her gown, forming small yet beautiful elaborate patterns and making it sparkle under the lights.

Zatanna smiled.  "M'gann, you look amazing."  M'gann giggled as she spun around, feeling as if she were dancing on a cloud.  "I feel like a princess!"  "Well, you better get out those doors.", Artemis said.  "Con is waiting for you."  M'gann took a deep breath.  "Here goes nothing."  She gathered her skirts and headed for the grand ballroom.
---------------
The two arrived at the main room at the same time.  When Conner saw M'gann in her yellow ballgown, a sort of shy smile played on her painted lips, he felt his heart skip a beat.  "You've never looked more beautiful.", he said, smiling.  He was delighted to see she did not recoil in horror at the sight, but instead smile even more.  "Thank you."